Salmon Kings Ink D-Man Salekin
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Salmon Kings, proud affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks and Manitoba Moose, announced today that they have signed defenseman Mike Salekin for the 2009-10 season.
The Castlegar, BC native joins the Salmon Kings after playing five games this season for the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs of the Central Hockey League (CHL) where he scored one goal and added 28 minutes in penalties.
The 6-0, 208 lb. defenseman spent the 2008-09 season in the ECHL split between the Reading Royals, Stockton Thunder, and Cincinnati Cyclones. Salekin began the year in Reading where he scored six points (2g-4a) in 10 games while tallying 22 minutes in penalties. Following a trade to Stockton, Salekin dressed for 12 games with the Thunder scoring two goals and accumulating 30 penalty minutes. A second trade from Stockton to Cincinnati saw the blueliner finish the season with the Cyclones scoring 19 points (5g-14a) in 33 games while serving 96 minutes in penalties. Salekin also participated in all 11 of Cincinnati's Kelly Cup Playoff games this past spring accruing no points and 31 penalty minutes.
The 24-year-old Salekin began his professional career in 2007-08 with a full season in the ECHL with Reading. In 49 games played he amassed four goals and nine assists for 13 points with 183 penalty minutes. Salekin also dressed for 11 Kelly Cup playoff games with Reading in 2007-08 registering two points (1g-1a) and 34 minutes in penalties.
For his professional career, the defenseman has scored 41 points (14g-27a) in 109 games played while accruing 359 penalty minutes.
Prior to turning professional, Salekin spent three seasons in the NCAA with the University of Alabama-Huntsville (UAH). In 99 career games as a Charger he scored 17 goals and assisted on 32 others for 49 points with 205 minutes in penalties. Salekin also helped lead the Chargers to a conference title in 2007 and a berth in the NCAA Championship tournament. During his time in the NCAA Salekin was named the team's best defenseman (2006-07), nominated to the All-Conference second team (2006-07), and was awarded the University's Bronze Scholar award (2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06).
Before joining the UAH Salekin spent two seasons (2001-02 and 2002-03) in the British Columbia Junior Hockey League (BCJHL) with the Merritt Centennials where he scored 79 points (31g-48a) in 104 total games with 395 penalty minutes. In his first year in Merritt, Salekin was selected as the team's rookie of the year, and was the runner-up in the BCHL's best first-year player award. The defensemen spent his second year as a Centennial's alternate captain, and led the BCHL in points per game by a defenseman.
Salekin began his junior hockey career in 2000-01 playing one game for the Western Hockey League's Kootenay Ice. The defenseman scored no goals with two penalty minutes.
The Salmon Kings open up a three-game set tonight versus the Ontario game with games to follow on Friday, November 13th, and Saturday, November 14th. Puck drop for all three matches is 7:05 p.m. For tickets, call 250-220-7777 or visit www.selectyourtickets.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 11, 2009
- Royals Fall In Wild Finish In Johnstown, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- South Carolina Stings Trenton, 6-3 - Trenton Devils
- Everblades Gut Walleye 6-1 - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Cool Off Devils 6-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jackals Press Release: Jackals Loan Justin Donati To Portland - Elmira Jackals
- Condors Sign C Gino Guyer - Bakersfield Condors
- Goaltender Matt Dalton Assigned To Reading - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Goaltender Brust Loaned to Blades; D-Man Kinley Traded to Wheeling - Florida Everblades
- Former NHL'er Joins K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Announce Roster Moves - Wheeling Nailers
- James Bates Recalled To Springfield - Stockton Thunder
- Walleye Add Bryan Ewing - Toledo Walleye
- Beauchemin Returns From AHL, Nastiuk Released - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Have Cashman Recalled, Jozsa Returned - Cincinnati Cyclones
- MeiGray Group Accepting Orders For 2009-10 ECHL Game-Worn Jerseys - ECHL
- Game Preview: Rays At Trenton Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Salmon Kings Sign Jimmy Sharrow - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Engelland, O Marra Raise ECHL Players In NHL To 417 - ECHL
- Salmon Kings Ink D-Man Salekin - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Going Green With The Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Ellis Gets Early Morning Wake Up Call - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Condors Knock Off Stockton 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Pitton's 36 Saves Falls Shy, Pokulok Nets Game-Winner - Stockton Thunder
- Wranglers Nipped By Grizzlies, 3-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Battle For 3-2 Win In Las Vegas - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Salmon Kings Stories
- Royals' Pink In The Rink Almost Sold Out
- Former Salmon Kings' General Manager & Head Coach Named to Winnipeg Jets' AHL Staff
- Salmon Kings Withdraw from ECHL
- Salmon Kings' Season Ends with Game 4 Loss
- Alaska takes 3-0 series lead with 6-2 victory over Victoria