Comets Defeat Penguins in Long Awaited Makeup Game, 5-1
Utica, NY. - A game that originally began back on October 17th in Utica with a home opener and a sold-out crowd at the Adirondack Bank Center ended with a power-outage and a 2-1 lead over the Wilkes Barre Scranton Penguins. With minutes left in the second period on that night, the teams would have to wait until the evening of January 24th to complete the contest from months before. For the Comets, the wait was well worth it as they finished what they started back mid-October for a 5-1 victory.
Back in October, the Comets took a lead on the first home goal of the season struck by Nick Hutchison for his first of the season. The goal was scored at 9:03 and assisted by Jack Dugan and Mason Geertsen. Later in the period, Nolan Foote deflected the Robbie Russo blast from the point and the Comets led the game 2-0 As the game moved into the middle frame, Ty Smith scored for the Penguins slicing the Comets lead 2-1.
When the game restarted on Tuesday night, the Comets scored with less than one second left in the period after Russo sent a shot into the Penguins net at 19:59. The two-on-one break was assisted by Graeme Clarke and Joe Gambardella. The Comets added goals from Nolan Stevens and Jack Dugan end the game with a 5-1 victory.
Both Nico Daws and Akira Schmid end as the goalies of record for the game with Daws stopping 19 of 20 on October 17 and Schmid turning aside all 10 shots he faced. The Penguins used by Filip Lindberg and Dustin Tokarski for the game.
The Comets will take on the Charlotte Checkers tomorrow night inside the Adirondack Bank Center at 7:00 PM Tickets are still available for both games. Please visit www.uticacomets.com/tickets for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2023
- Wolves Fall to Roadrunners 5-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Can't Come from Behind in Utica Restart - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Defeat Penguins in Long Awaited Makeup Game, 5-1 - Utica Comets
- Series Preview vs. SJ: January 25 & 27 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Teddy Bear Toss Returns Following Games with Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Matt Luff Reassigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Travel to Milwaukee, Chicago to Begin Road Trip - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Has Busy Week Ahead to Close out January - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Celebrate Local Legend Michael Stanley on Saturday at Cleveland Rocks Night - Cleveland Monsters
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Star Wars Night Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 14 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Military Appreciation Ticket Packages Available Now - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers' Gilbert, Canucks' Kannok Leipert Suspended - AHL
- Join the Stars for Star Wars Night - Texas Stars
- Hometown Heroes Night Has Sold Out - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Milos Kelemen Recalled by Arizona Coyotes - Tucson Roadrunners
- Dallas Stars Loan Forward Fredrik Olofsson to Texas - Texas Stars
- New York Rangers Recall F Will Cuylle, Loan F Sammy Blais to Wolf Pack on Conditioning Stint - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Phantoms Power Play Presented by Provident Bank - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild vs. Rockford IceHogs - Iowa Wild
- Toronto Marlies Visit Abbotsford Canucks in First Half of Back-To-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Tommy Nappier Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game #40 - Wolves at Roadrunners - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bruins Buzz - January 24 - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Headed for Weekday Wild Match Up - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.