Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago
Reactions to shootout losses tend to vary, with glass half-full and glass half-empty approaches both well within the realm of reason. That said, Saturday's in Rockford was as sweet as they come.
Despite missing a chance to clinch a playoff spot completely within their own power after falling 2-1 to Chicago on Saturday, the single point earned was still enough to book their ticket to the postseason thanks to Milwaukee's subsequent loss to Rockford. With three games left to play in the regular season, Charlotte has now ensured that it will be playing more hockey in two weeks.
John Muse, playing just his second game since March 21, made 38 saves in regulation and overtime and stopped three of six in the shootout. Matt Beca scored Charlotte's only goal, knocking a loose puck in over the goal line to give the Checkers a 1-0 lead near the end of the second period.
Charlotte will now play out the final three games of the regular season - all part of the same road trip that ends in Peoria on Saturday - with an eye on home-ice advantage. Saturday's point solidified their hold on fourth place, which may be the highest they can climb with Texas still holding a significant but not insurmountable lead in the South Division.
The Checkers very nearly clinched the playoff spot, their second in three AHL seasons, by way of their own efforts, having rallied from a 2-0 shootout deficit to force an extra round. It was in the first sudden-death sequence that former Checker Jon Matsumoto scored, setting up Charlotte's third consecutive must-score attempt to extend the game.
After Jerome Samson, returning from a 36-game injury absence, and Justin Shugg scored on the previous two shots to keep things going, defenseman Justin Krueger, a low-scorer in games who had proven to be something of a secret weapon for the team in recent years, was stopped by Matt Climie to end the game.
All eyes then quickly turned to Milwaukee, whose game started 30 minutes later. At the conclusion of Charlotte's game, the Admirals were down 2-0 to Rockford in the third period, with the final score of 3-1 good enough secure the Checkers' return to the postseason.
Aside from their eventual seed and opponent, Charlotte still has a goaltending situation to sort out in the regular season's final week. With rookie Rob Madore picking up some momentum with 87 saves over a two-game stretch against Texas on Thursday and Friday, Muse, a proven playoff performer in lesser leagues, battled back against the Wolves.
The second-year pro, who won a Kelly Cup MVP award as part of the ECHL Florida Everblades' championship team last season, was a key part of a Checkers penalty kill that finished 6-for-6 on the night, including a successful five-on-three kill in the first period and another in overtime.
Muse, who missed time at the AHL level due to an NHL recall to Carolina, has stopped 69 of 73 shots in his last two starts. In addition to his battle with Madore, Mike Murphy, the Checkers' starter in their last playoff appearance two seasons ago, is with the team and awaiting his season debut at the AHL level after recently returning from a five-month break.
Saturday's game completed a three-in-three set for the Checkers, who played Texas in Charlotte on Thursday and Friday. The team now has points in four consecutive games (1-0-3), having lost three consecutive overtime games on the heels of six straight overtime wins.
The Checkers' trip continues Tuesday in Peoria, one of two remaining games against the Rivermen, who have already been eliminated from the playoffs. They will also face Milwaukee on Friday before concluding their regular season with a return trip to Peoria on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.