Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1
(Syracuse, NY)... The Rochester Americans and Syracuse Crunch closed out their season series Saturday at the War Memorial at Oncenter, where Brett Connolly's hat trick powered Syracuse to a 5-1 win over the Amerks in the final meeting of the season between the intrastate rivals.
Connolly, back with the Crunch following an NHL stint with the Tampa Bay Lightning, netted the game's first two goals, including the eventual game-winner, while Tyler Johnson, who was also reassigned to Syracuse yesterday from the Lightning, notched two points (1+1) in the win. J.T. Wyman rounded out the scoring for the Crunch and Ondrej Palat tabbed two assists behind a 20-save effort from goaltender Cedrick Desjardins.
Alex Biega potted the lone goal for Rochester and David Leggio made 28 saves in the loss for the Amerks, who saw their three-game winning streak snapped. Despite the setback, though, Rochester remains tied for fifth in the American Hockey League's Western Conference standings with just four games left to play in the 2012-13 regular season.
Syracuse opened up the scoring early in the first period when Connolly scored his 28th goal of the season. Connolly carried the puck into the Rochester zone on a rush opportunity, and with his momentum carrying him toward the right wing boards, fired a wrist shot from the right face-off circle against the grain and into the top left corner of the net to give the Crunch a 1-0 advantage at the 1:37 mark of the opening period. Vlad Namestnikov and Dmitry Korobov were credited with the assists on the goal.
Connolly added his second of the night on a power-play at 8:28 of the middle frame. With the puck loose in the slot, Johnson gained control and found Connolly alone on the weak-side post, and Connolly jammed it home for his 29th goal of the season to give Syracuse a 2-0 lead.
Palat, who picked up the secondary assist on Connolly's power-play goal, would then help give the Crunch a 3-0 lead less than two minutes later. With the Crunch again skating with the man-advantage, a wild scramble in the Rochester crease ended with Johnson finding a way to slip the puck over the goal-line. Palat and Matt Taormina assisted on the goal.
In the closing seconds of the second period, Syracuse took a 4-0 lead when J.P. Cote's slap-shot from the left point made its way through traffic and was tipped in by Wyman for the goal. Early on in the third period, Connolly would complete his hat trick by scoring his 30th goal of the season to make it a 5-0 game.
Biega scored his fifth goal of the season to make it 5-1 at 4:53 of the third period. Amerks leading scorer Mark Mancari got the puck behind the Crunch net and made a centering pass to Matt Ellis in the high slot. The Amerks captain then found Biega streaking down the left side and fed him for a one-timer, which Biega blasted in past Desjardins to get Rochester on the board. With the assist, Mancari recorded his team-leading 60th point of the season, marking the fourth time in his career he has reached the 60-point plateau.
The Amerks will bring the weekend to a close on Sunday, April 14 in the State's Capital District, where for the second straight week, Rochester will take on the intrastate rival Albany Devils in a 3:00 p.m. matinee at the Times Union Center. Fans can tune in for all the live action on Sports 1280 WHTK.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.