Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps
ST. JOHN'S, Newfoundland - For the 11th consecutive year, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins find themselves in the Calder Cup Playoffs thanks to a 3-0 victory against the St. John's IceCaps at Mile One Centre. Penguins goaltender Jeff Zatkoff picked up his fifth shutout of the year and second in as many starts.
Zatkoff repeatedly stymied the IceCaps offense as he stopped all 17 shots faced. With back-to-back shutouts, Zatkoff extended his streak of scoreless hockey to 126:44.
Dominik Uher opened up the scoring on just the second shot of the game for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. The rookie forward deflected a Bobby Farnham point shot under the crossbar with 2:19 left in the first period.
In a near identical play, Uher tipped home his second of the game and third of the year, standing in front of the crease. Brian Dumoulin let a wrist shot go from the far boards and Uher's quick stick caught a piece of the puck to put the Penguins up 2-0 at 9:08 of the second.
Just 2:14 later, Paul Thompson beat Mark Dekanich high to the glove side on a breakaway for his 19th of the year. Trevor Smith bulleted a pass through center ice, catching Thompson in stride as he gave the Penguins a 3-0 lead with the wrist shot.
Dekanich took the loss for the IceCaps, turning aside of 16-of-19 shots. Farnham recorded his first multi-point game as a pro with two assists in the contest.
The Penguins and IceCaps conclude their two-game set on Sunday, April 14 at 2:30PM EDT. Tune in on 102.3 The Mountain or AHLLive.com.
Tickets for individual playoff games will go on sale to the general public on Friday, April 19 at 10:00am and are available at the Box Office at Mohegan Sun Arena, through any Ticketmaster outlet, or online at ticketmaster.com. Tickets also can be purchased via phone by calling 1-800-745-3000.
Playoff ticket packages are available by contacting the Penguins Front Office at (570) 208-PENS and include a Penguins playoff rally towel with each seat purchased.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2
- Jarry's 38 Saves Force Overtime, But Penguins Lose, 1-0
- Weekly: Four Atlantic Division Games Populate Penguins' Upcoming Schedule
- Penguins Lose to Toronto, 4-2