Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee
Milwaukee, Wis.- Facing another must-win situation Saturday night, the Rockford IceHogs passed another test.
Rockford topped the Milwaukee Admirals 3-1 at the BMO Harris Bradley Center and moved into the eighth position in the AHL's Western Conference.
After putting up seven goals on Friday, Rockford was held off the board by Milwaukee on Saturday in the opening period on ten shots. The Admirals fired seven shots on Carter Hutton.
Rockford's struggling power play gave it a 1-0 lead in the second period. Maxime Sauve fed Adam Clendening at the right point, and the rookie d-man fired home his eighth goal through traffic and past Magnus Hellberg at 3:14. Coming into Saturday, Rockford's power play was 2-for-27 over its past eight games.
Another power-play strike in the second extended Rockford's lead to 2-0. Jeremy Morin's shot on Hellberg snuck through the goalie, and Ben Smith was there to clean up his 23rd goal of the season at 14:08.
In the third period, defenseman Klas Dahlbeck made it a 3-0 lead with his first career AHL goal. Dahlbeck picked up a Brandon Svendsen pass in the slot and beat Hellberg five hole at 12:42.
Milwaukee cracked Hutton a few moments later in transition. Jusso Puustinen cleaned up a Patrick Cehlin rebound and beat Hutton for his 15th goal of the season at 15:00 of the third.
For the second straight game, Rockford dominated the shots on goal board, outshooting Milwaukee 36-21.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Week 16 Report: Road Woes End as Hogs Win One of Four
- Rockford Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Monday Matinee
- Knott the OT Hero as Hogs Snap Road Skid
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins
- Registration for 10th Annual Bowl-A-Thon Opens Friday, January 18