Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte
ROSEMONT, Ill.---The Chicago Wolves earned a much-needed come-from-behind win over the Charlotte Checkers 2-1 in a shootout Saturday night at the Allstate Arena.
Center Jordan Schroeder knotted the game at one 5:31 into the third period and forwards Darren Haydar, Brett Sterling, and Jon Matsumoto lit the lamp in the shootout to give Chicago (36-27-5-4) its first win this year when trailing after two periods of play.
With the win, the Wolves stayed within two points of eighth place in the Western Conference playoff race with four games remaining in the regular season.
"We played hard all night," said Wolves head coach Scott Arniel. "We were finally able to win while coming back in the third and at this point of the year all that matters is finding a way to win."
After a scoreless first period, Charlotte (40-25-4-4) opened scoring when center Brett Sutter's shot from the slot was knocked into the air by Wolves goaltender Matt Climie and right wing Matt Beca dove into the crease to poke the puck over the goal line at 17:05 of the second frame.
Climie (23-23-3) kicked out 35 of 36 shots in regulation and overtime and four of Charlotte's six shootout attempts.
The Wolves tied the game 1-1 when defenseman Yann Sauve walked into the near circle and found the tape of Schroeder in front of the crease. He redirected the pass through the legs of Charlotte netminder Jon Muse 5:31 into the third period.
Muse (6-7-1) stopped 38 of 39 shots in regulation and overtime and three of six shootout attempts.
The Wolves open the final week of the regular season with an Amtrak Rivalry contest against the Milwaukee Admirals at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, April 16, at the Bradley Center.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.