Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win
Three consecutive goals over the first and second periods propelled the Lake Erie Monsters (34-30-3-7) to a 3-2 win over the Hamilton Bulldogs (28-38-1-5) on Saturday night, giving the Monsters their longest win streak of the season. A crowd of 9,386 at Quicken Loans Arena saw the Monsters win their fifth straight game. Paul Carey and Tomas Vincour each had a goal and an assist, while Jamie MacQueen added a goal for the Monsters. Calvin Pickard won his third straight start in net, and his 19th game of the season. Saturday's game was the second half of a home-and-home between the two teams. Lake Erie defeated the Bulldogs 6-2 in Hamilton on Friday.
Marc Hagel centered a pass to MacQueen on a two-on-one rush, and MacQueen redirected a backhand to beat Hamilton goalie Robert Mayer and give the Monsters a 1-0 lead at 15:08 of the first period. The goal was MacQueen's third this season.
On another rush at 16:27, Carey sent a puck toward the goal that bounced off Vincour and into the net to give the Monsters a 2-0 lead. Karl Stollery also assisted on the goal. The Monsters led 2-0 after the first period.
In the second, Vincour spotted Carey open in front of the Hamilton net on a power play, and Carey one-timed a puck past Mayer at 11:09 of the to stretch the Monsters lead to 3-0.
Between 14:17 and 16:57 of the second period, Hamilton received goals from Petteri Nokelainen and Michael Bournival to pull to within a goal of the Monsters, making the score 3-2.
Pickard stood tall, making 11 saves in the third period to preserve the 3-2 win for the Monsters.
Pickard stopped 23 of 25 shots in the win and is 19-19-5. Mayer took the loss for Hamilton and is 15-17-3 after stopping 18 of 21 shots.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters
- Abramov and Sherwood Tally Two Goals Each for Monsters in 5-2 Win over Rochester
- Columbus Blue Jackets Recall Forward Eric Robinson from Cleveland, Assign Forward Mark Letestu to Monsters
- Columbus Blue Jackets Trade Defenseman Blake Siebenaler to Pittsburgh Penguins for Conditional Pick in 2019 NHL Draft
- Monsters Fall to Devils in Overtime, 4-3