Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win
Three consecutive goals over the first and second periods propelled the Lake Erie Monsters (34-30-3-7) to a 3-2 win over the Hamilton Bulldogs (28-38-1-5) on Saturday night, giving the Monsters their longest win streak of the season. A crowd of 9,386 at Quicken Loans Arena saw the Monsters win their fifth straight game. Paul Carey and Tomas Vincour each had a goal and an assist, while Jamie MacQueen added a goal for the Monsters. Calvin Pickard won his third straight start in net, and his 19th game of the season. Saturday's game was the second half of a home-and-home between the two teams. Lake Erie defeated the Bulldogs 6-2 in Hamilton on Friday.
Marc Hagel centered a pass to MacQueen on a two-on-one rush, and MacQueen redirected a backhand to beat Hamilton goalie Robert Mayer and give the Monsters a 1-0 lead at 15:08 of the first period. The goal was MacQueen's third this season.
On another rush at 16:27, Carey sent a puck toward the goal that bounced off Vincour and into the net to give the Monsters a 2-0 lead. Karl Stollery also assisted on the goal. The Monsters led 2-0 after the first period.
In the second, Vincour spotted Carey open in front of the Hamilton net on a power play, and Carey one-timed a puck past Mayer at 11:09 of the to stretch the Monsters lead to 3-0.
Between 14:17 and 16:57 of the second period, Hamilton received goals from Petteri Nokelainen and Michael Bournival to pull to within a goal of the Monsters, making the score 3-2.
Pickard stood tall, making 11 saves in the third period to preserve the 3-2 win for the Monsters.
Pickard stopped 23 of 25 shots in the win and is 19-19-5. Mayer took the loss for Hamilton and is 15-17-3 after stopping 18 of 21 shots.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.