Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0
Springfield, MA -- The Providence Bruins defeated the Springfield Falcons 2-0 tonight at the Mass Mutual Center. Carter Camper added his ninth of the season and Matt Lindblad scored his first professional goal in his pro debut. Michael Hutchinson made 23 saves, and the Bruins outshot the Falcons 37-23 as they improved to 46-21-0-5.
Coming into tonight's game two points ahead of the Falcons in the Eastern Conference, the Bruins came ready to battle for the conference lead. Despite a scoreless first frame, the Bruins outshot the Falcons 14-8.
After dominating play in the first frame, the Bruins finally found the back of the net in the second. Camper's snap shot from the left circle found its way past Curtis McElhinney at 6:45. Ryan Spooner and Torey Krug assisted on the play. Less than three minutes later Lindblad, making his professional debut after being signed to an entry-level contract out of Dartmouth College on April 5, scored his first pro goal, shorthanded at 9:21. Krug picked up his second assist of the night and fourth in two nights on the play.
The third period saw back-and-forth action between the Bruins and Falcons, but neither team could find the back of the net. Springfield had opportunities to pull within one, but much to the credit of Hutchinson's play, the Falcons could not get on the board. The Falcons' extra-man attempt with just over a minute to play was thwarted by a too-many-men call, sealing the Falcons' fate and the Bruins 2-0 win.
Bruins action returns to the Dunk on Sunday versus the Norfolk Admirals. The puck drops at 3:05 p.m. for Cup Day. The first 1,000 fans will receive a free cup courtesy of Walgreens.
Providence Bruins ticket packages are on sale now for the 2012-13 season. To purchase tickets of for more information, call the P-Bruins ticket office at 401-273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com .
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Fall to Hershey Bears in Shootout, 3-2
- Kuhlman Scores Two Shorthanded Goals, P-Bruins Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3
- P-Bruins Complete Comeback, Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms in Shootout
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Lose in Overtime to Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ritchie Scores Twice, Frederic Has Three-Point Night as P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-1