NFL, NBA, NHL stats

Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night

April 13, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Worcester Sharks News Release

Worcester, MA- The Worcester Sharks (30-32-4-6, 70pts) fell to the Norfolk Admirals (37-30-4-1, 79pts) by the count of 4-3 in overtime on Saturday evening in front of 6,247 fans at the DCU Center on Fan Appreciation Night presented by Southbridge Savings Bank. With the overtime loss, the Sharks are now officially eliminated from the Calder Cup playoffs. The Sharks travel to Manchester on Sunday to conclude their 3-in-3 weekend at 3pm.

James Livingston (7th), Matt Pelech (3rd), and Eriah Hayes (1st) scored for Worcester and Harri Sateri made 45 saves in the OT loss. Sami Vatanen (9th) won the game with a power play overtime strike for Norfolk at 3:24 as the Sharks dropped their 8th straight game on home ice (0-5-3-0). The Sharks final regular season home game is Wednesday at 7pm vs. the Springfield Falcons.

Heavyweights Jimmy Bonneau (11th FM) and Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond (8th FM) dropped the mitts on the opening faceoff for a marathon battle to set the tone early. The Sharks took a 1-0 lead at 4:29 as James Livingston (7th) slammed home a loose rebound from the right slot after Frederik Andersen made an initial save on a Riley Brace shot from the left circle. The assist extended Brace's point streak to four games (3-2-5) in his first four professional games. Worcester went ahead 2-0 as Matt Pelech (3rd) scored on a blast from the right point through a screen in the second straight game at 11:43 assisted by Sena Acolatse and James Livingston. Harri Sateri made 10 saves in the first as the Sharks led 2-0 through 20 minutes.

Norfolk fired 23 shots in the 2nd period and scored twice to tie the game at 2-2. Patrick Maroon (24th) fired home a third rebound try from on top of the Worcester crease at 5:36 to get the Admirals within a goal. Devante Smith-Pelly (13th) tied the score at 2-2 with an unassisted strike at 11:55 past Harri Sateri with a wicked snap shot from in between the faceoff circles. The game was tied 2-2 after 40 minutes with Norfolk outshooting Worcester 33-23.

Wellesley, MA native Chris Wagner (8th) gave Norfolk their first lead of the night after he found a bouncing puck loose on top of the net after a blocked shot in front just 13 seconds into the 3rd period to put the Admirals ahead 3-2. But the Sharks would tie the score at 3-3 at 7:14 as Eriah Hayes (1st) score his first professional goal firing home a Riley Brace centering pass on the blocker side of the Norfolk netminder. Neither team would score again in the 3rd period with the Admirals holding a 12-11 shot advantage.

In overtime, Riley Brace was whistled for a faceoff violation at 2:54 and First Team AHL All-Star Sami Vatanen (9th) fired a one timer from 40 feet off the post and past Sateri for the game winner at 3:24.

• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...

American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Worcester Sharks Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew