Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night
ALBANY, NY -- The Binghamton Senators skated to a 5-0 victory against the Albany Devils Saturday. The contest was a small element of an evening dedicated to the Armed Services and 4,941 fans turned out to Times Union Center for Military Appreciation Night.
As for the game action, the Devils compiled 35 shots on goal, but could not solve Binghamton netminder Nathan Lawson. In his fourth game of the season, Albany's Scott Wedgewood made 24 saves on 29 shots, including six in the first, 11 in the second and 12 in the third.
Binghamton's Corey Cowick registered a goal and an assist, and Fredrik Claesson, Dustin Gazley, Mark Stone and Buddy Robinson all tallied.
Claesson's shorthanded goal opened the scoring at 13:46 of the first. Gazley added a goal on the power play at 4:05 of the second and Stone found the back of the net at 15:53 before the intermission break.
Robinson netted his first professional goal 13 seconds into the third and Cowick scored the game's final goal at 18:11.
Notes & Numbers
- The Devils went to 29-30-1-12, while the Senators improved to 42-23-1-6.
- Seth Helgeson, who signed an ATO on Apr. 5, made his AHL debut. The 22-year-old was drafted in the fourth round (114th overall) by New Jersey during the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. He recently finished his fourth season with the University of Minnesota (WCHA).
- Goaltender Scott Wedgewood played his first game since being reassigned to Albany on Apr. 2. The rookie's last appearance came on Mar. 16 at Syracuse.
- Before the game, the AHL announced that Jean-Sebastien Berube has been suspended for two games as a consequence of a match penalty he received at Binghamton last night. The left winger will serve the second game tomorrow against Rochester.
Lineup Goaltenders: Scott Wedgewood, Jeff Frazee Defensemen: Eric Gelinas, Seth Helgeson, Jay Leach, Corbin McPherson, Jon Merrill, Alexander Urbom Forwards: Matt Anderson, Reid Boucher, Phil DeSimone, Mike Hoeffel, Cam Janssen, Chris McKelvie, Tim Sestito, Mike Sislo, Mattias Tedenby, Joe Whitney, Darcy Zajac, Steve Zalewski
Next Up The Devils remain at Times Union Center for a 3 pm start against Rochester tomorrow.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.