Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps
ST. JOHN'S, NL - The St. John's IceCaps were shut out 3-0 by the visiting Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Saturday night at Mile One Centre.
Jeff Zatkoff needed to make just 18 saves for the shutout, while Dominik Oher scored twice to pace the Penguins. Bobby Farnham added a pair of assists as the Penguins punched their ticket to the 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs with the win.
Mark Dekanich made 16 saves for St. John's while Eric O'Dell, Kael Mouillierat and Will O'Neill led the club with three shots apiece.
The Penguins took a 1-0 lead late in the first on Uher's first of the game. After a failed clearing attempt by St. John's, Farnham quickly fired the puck on goal from the left point and Uher deflected it past Dekanich to give the visitors a 1-0 advantage after 20 minutes of play.
Uher notched his second of the contest in similar fashion midway through the second period. Brian Dumoulin wristed a shot on net that was tipped in front by Uher, beating Dekanich to give the Penguins a 2-0 lead.
Paul Thompson put the Penguins up 3-0 minutes later with his 19th goal of the season. Trevor Smith sprung Thompson on a breakaway and Thompson snapped a shot top shelf to give the Penguins a three-goal cushion heading into the third period.
Things got heated midway through the third after Mouillierat and Brian Gibbons collided at centre ice, leading to a brawl behind the Penguins net that saw Cody Sol and Thompson drop the gloves. Sol and Joey Mormina received 10-minute misconduct penalties on the play and were sent to their respective dressing rooms.
The two teams meet again Sunday afternoon for the IceCaps home finale. Fan appreciation weekend continues with plenty of prize giveaways and a Purolator Shuts Out Hunger food drive event. Fans are asked to bring a non-perishable food item to the game in support of the Community Food Sharing Association and will receive a chance to win an IceCaps replica jersey.
Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at stjohnsicecaps.com and on 930 AM This Is Newfoundland Labrador, or watch live on Rogers TV and ahllive.com. Puck drop is set for 4:00 p.m. NT with the pregame show getting underway at 3:30.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.