Campagna's Late Goal Lifts Admirals over Mariners
Portland, ME - Following one of the most exciting games of the season, the Norfolk Admirals would travel to Maine to kick off a four-game road trip. Adam Huska would make his third start for the Mariners as he was recalled from Hartford yesterday. Jake Theut would man net for the tenth time this season with the Admirals and for the fourth straight game.
The first period was a defensive grind with the Admirals outshooting the Mariners just 12-7, with each team failing to score. At 6:53, Norfolk's Ruslan Rakhmatov dropped the gloves with Mikael Robidoux, giving the fans something to cheer about heading into the second stanza.
The second period gave fans a little bit more to cheer about with the Admirals striking first on an unassisted goal from Alex Rodriguez just 17 seconds into the period. The Mariners would respond two minutes and 45 seconds later a goal from Connor Bleackley.
The tie wouldn't last long with Alex Tonge scoring his tenth goal of the season with Norfolk on assists from Freddy Gerard and Sebastian Vidmar to go up 2-1. On that goal, Tonge extended his point streak to four games. The teams would trade goals once again, with Ted Hart netting a powerplay goal at the 4:41 mark, once again squaring the teams up at two goals a-piece.
Despite the high shot totals from both teams as the third period would dwindle down, Theut and Huska remained firm, doing everything in their power to help their respective teams from allowing the puck to cross the net. Theut and the Admirals would prevail as JC Campagna scoring the game winning goal with just 2:05 on the clock, giving him his 13th of the year and Norfolk's first win since February 22nd.
"I think for us, it's a matter of not getting too high and not getting to low either," said Campagna after the win. "We need to ride this momentum. We remember how good it feels to win, but we're also aware of how bad it feels to lose this year. We got some new guys that are coming in and are excited to be here."
"This game ended up being one of the more enjoyable games for me to watch because they played very well with a lot of heart and passion and got rewarded for it," said Admirals head coach Rod Taylor.
"It's been a rollercoaster of a season," said Admirals assistant coach Ryan McGinnis. "Where we sit in the standings, you got to try and have fun. We try to bring the fun and teach within that fun. It helps to bring in guys that want to make an impression in pro hockey. You bring in hungry guys and as long as you keep bringing in guys that want to prove themselves, you can make things happen right, wrong or indifferent."
The Admirals will head to Santander Arena to play the Reading Royals in the first of a two game set on Friday night at 7:00 PM. The Pregame Show will start at 6:40 on the Admirals Radio Network and ECHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 10, 2020
- Campagna's Late Goal Lifts Admirals over Mariners - Norfolk Admirals
- Beast Blow Third Period Lead and Drop Game against Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Thunder's Hutchison Makes Noise During Pro Debut in Loss to Railers - Adirondack Thunder
- Ted Hart Breaks Goal Drought But Mariners Fall to Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- Railers Find Lightning with 5-4 Victory over the Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Walleye Issue Statement about Upcoming Games - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - March 10 - ECHL
- Jake Massie Reassigned from Springfield Thunderbirds - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Weekly: Last Three-In-Three of Season on Tap - Florida Everblades
- Mitch McLain Headed to Iowa - Allen Americans
- Jack Sadek Recalled by Minnesota, Assigned to Iowa - Allen Americans
- Education Day Game Eludes Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Brampton's Nigro Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Hodgson, Ebbing Each Score Twice in a.m. Win at Wheeling, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Parkkonen Returns from Chicago - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Weekly: Mavs Welcome Nearly 15,000 Fans over Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Worcester Railers HC Sign Forward Brent Beaudoin from Brown University - Worcester Railers HC
- Houser Named ECHL Goaltener of the Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cincinnati's Houser Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Tammy Dahms Named Director of Corporate Sales and Sponsorships - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Royals Have Brunch Battle at Wheeling - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Campagna's Late Goal Lifts Admirals over Mariners
- Dornbrock Scores First Goal with Admirals in Loss to Jacksonville
- Norfolk Admirals Announce New Season Ticket Packages for 2020-21 Season
- Theut's 36 Saves Propels Admirals to 5-1 Victory
- Admirals Acquire Three Players from Cincinnati for B. Holmstrom, Coughlin