Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno
Fresno, CA - Jaycob Brugman drove in four runs for Tacoma, but the Rainiers couldn't overcome Fresno's 13-run output, losing by the score of 13-5 on Thursday in the four-game series finale at Chukchansi Park.
With the bases loaded in the top of the fifth, Brugman roped his 22nd double which scored all three baserunners and got the Rainiers within two runs at the time, 7-5. The outfielder finished the four-game tilt 5-for-17 with two home runs and nine RBI.
Mike Wright (2-5) took the loss for Tacoma. Paolo Espino (8-4) earned the win for Fresno. The Rainiers defeat puts their 2019 record at 59-76. With the victory, Fresno improves to 61-75 this year.
The Rainiers got the scoring started first, beginning in the first when they recorded a pair of runs in the frame, highlighted by an RBI triple off the bat of John Andreoli.
As a collective, Tacoma pushed across their five runs in the contest off of six hits, two of which went for extra bases. The Rainiers also drew four free passes from Fresno pitchers.
The Grizzlies added to their lead after the fifth, scoring six more runs on the way to a win.
Dan Altavilla was a bright spot out of the bullpen for the Rainiers, throwing one scoreless inning in a rehab appearance while limiting Fresno to one hit, walking none and striking out one.
Brandon Brennan also pitched well for the Rainiers, throwing one shutout inning while limiting Fresno to one hit, walking none and striking out one.
The Rainiers will travel to Las Vegas to take on the Aviators in their final series of the season. The four-game set will begin on Friday at 7:05 PM PDT. Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850.
For inquiries regarding season tickets and hospitality options for the upcoming 2020 season, please contact [email protected] The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found on WeRTacoma.com, or by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), on Instagram (@tacomarainiers) and by liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Jaycob Brugman of the Tacoma Rainiers on the basepaths
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Missions Elimated from Playoff Contention - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Win Series Opener Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener 3-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Wisdom's Late Blast Lifts Sounds Past Missions - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Clinch American Northern Division - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Defeat OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Blanks Round Rock 4-0 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Aviators Announce Season Awards for 2019 Campaign - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-57) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Contreras to Begin Rehab Assignment with Iowa Tonight - Iowa Cubs
- Las Vegas Ballpark, Las Vegas Aviators Honored with Major Year-End Awards - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-68) at Iowa Cubs (72-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Ty France Named 2019 PCL MVP - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Named Most Valuable Player - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Facing Elimination from the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Fresno knocks off Tacoma 13-5 in series finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Shaw powers River Cats to team's 12th division title - Sacramento River Cats
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Power up Late to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Comeback in the 9th to Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Rainiers Among Minor League Baseball's Top-25 in Merchandise Sales for Fifth-Straight Year
- Rainiers Giving Tacoma a Taste of Baseball with "Cheneyville Grab N' Go" Drive-Thru
- Seattle Mariners to Utilize Cheney Stadium for "Taxi Squad" Practices, Simulated Games Beginning July 27
- Tacoma Rainiers Statement Regarding Cancelation of 2020 Minor League Baseball Season
- Tacoma Rainiers Hosting Virtual Watch Party for Annual 3rd of July Fireworks Show