'Cakes Win Series Opener Friday
Oklahoma City - The New Orleans Baby Cakes scored four runs in the top of the seventh inning in a 6-1 win against the Oklahoma City Dodgers Friday night at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
The Dodgers scored a run in the bottom of the first inning before being held scoreless over the final eight innings and the Baby Cakes scored five unanswered runs in the series opener between the teams.
With the loss, Oklahoma City fell to 3-12 over the last 15 games as Dodgers opened their final series of the 2019 season.
The Baby Cakes (71-64) quickly grabbed the lead when Eddy Alvarez hit a RBI single in the first inning to put New Orleans in front, 1-0.
The Dodgers (61-75) answered in the bottom of the inning.
Connor Joe singled to lead off and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Kyle Garlick to tie the game, 1-1.
New Orleans took the lead again in the third inning when a wild pitch brought home New Orleans' second run of the night for a 2-1 lead.
The Baby Cakes then scored four runs in the seventh inning. Yadiel Rivera, Gabriel Guerrero and Wilken Castillo hit three straight RBI singles with one out to open up a 5-1 lead. Magneuris Sierra later drew a bases-loaded walk for a 6-1 lead.
New Orleans starting pitcher Joe Gunkel (8-2) was credited with the win, holding the Dodgers to one run and allowing seven hits over 6.0 innings. He did not issue a walk and recorded seven strikeouts. He combined with relievers Jordan Milbrath and Brett Graves to hold the Dodgers scoreless over the final eight frames.
Dodgers starting pitcher J.D. Martin (3-3) was charged with the loss, allowing two runs and six hits over 6.0 innings with four walks and six strikeouts.
The OKC Dodgers continue their final homestand of the season against the New Orleans Baby Cakes at 7:05 p.m. Saturday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark as Fan Appreciation Weekend continues.
Fireworks are slated to follow the game, presented by Allstate. Select players will be available for autographs prior to the game and fans will receive a complimentary 2019 team poster when they exit the ballpark.
Tickets are available through the OKC Dodgers ticket office located on South Mickey Mantle Drive, by phone at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
Video highlights of today's game will be available at the PCL FTP site, pclhighlights.exavault.com, in the Oklahoma City folder. The proper files will reflect today's date, and are accompanied by a text file containing a brief description of the content available.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Missions Elimated from Playoff Contention - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Win Series Opener Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener 3-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Wisdom's Late Blast Lifts Sounds Past Missions - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Clinch American Northern Division - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Defeat OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Blanks Round Rock 4-0 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Aviators Announce Season Awards for 2019 Campaign - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-57) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Contreras to Begin Rehab Assignment with Iowa Tonight - Iowa Cubs
- Las Vegas Ballpark, Las Vegas Aviators Honored with Major Year-End Awards - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-68) at Iowa Cubs (72-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Ty France Named 2019 PCL MVP - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Named Most Valuable Player - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Facing Elimination from the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Fresno knocks off Tacoma 13-5 in series finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Shaw powers River Cats to team's 12th division title - Sacramento River Cats
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Power up Late to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Comeback in the 9th to Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.