Las Vegas Ballpark, Las Vegas Aviators Honored with Major Year-End Awards
This season saw major changes for professional baseball in Las Vegas, and those accomplishments were recognized in the 2019 year-end awards from ballparkdigest.com, with Las Vegas Ballpark® named Ballpark of the Year and the Las Vegas Aviators® named Team of the Year.
This year's selection of both Las Vegas Ballpark and the Las Vegas Aviators for major citations make history in the annual Ballpark Digest Awards: It's the first time an organization has snared both awards in a single year.
The awards will be recognized on the field during the pre-game ceremonies tonight at Las Vegas Ballpark when the Aviators take on the Tacoma Rainiers and celebrated during a post-game firework show.
"After years and years of work, the Las Vegas Aviators opened Las Vegas Ballpark to wide acclaim this season," said Ballpark Digest publisher Kevin Reichard. "We're thrilled to recognize these major accomplishments in our year-end awards."
The year-end Ballpark Digest awards annually honor the best of the baseball industry, covering MLB, MiLB, independent-baseball, and summer-collegiate programs in a wide range of categories. The Ballpark of the Year and Team of the Year announcements are the kickoff to awards season for Ballpark Digest, with announcements running through the fall and culminating in an awards reception at December's Baseball Winter Meetings.
"The Las Vegas Aviators not only opened a new ballpark in 2019, but also overhauled their whole business, ranging from an offseason rebranding to a total revamp of the concessions and hospitality programs," Reichard said. "Just opening a new ballpark at a high-quality level is a big accomplishment. What the Aviators did with their partners is basically start from scratch, ending up with a new facility that's leading the minors in attendance."
Both Las Vegas Ballpark and the Las Vegas Aviators are wholly owned by The Howard Hughes Corporation®, developer of the master-planned community of Summerlin® and Downtown Summerlin®, which has become a popular sports destination thanks to Las Vegas Ballpark and neighboring City National Arena, practice facility of the Vegas Golden Knights.
The selection of Las Vegas Ballpark for Ballpark of the Year comes in a banner season for new and renovated pro baseball facilities.
"Fans were blessed by an abundance of riches this season," Reichard said. "We saw great new ballparks open in Fayetteville and Amarillo, with the Milwaukee Brewers debuting a noteworthy renovation at American Family Fields of Phoenix. All four facilities advanced the art of ballpark design."
Previous awardees for Ballpark of the Year include Atlanta's SunTrust Park (2017); North Augusta's SRP Park (2018), Minnesota's Target Field (2010), Columbia's Spirit Communications Park (2016), St. Paul's CHS Field (2015), El Paso's Southwest University Park (2014) and Arizona's Salt River Fields at Talking Stick (2011).
This is not the first time Las Vegas Ballpark has been honored by Ballpark Digest: Earlier this season Las Vegas Ballpark was the winner in the annual Ballpark Digest Best of the Ballparks fan vote for Triple-A facilities. Over 85,000 fans voted in all five rounds of the Triple-A Best of the Ballparks fan vote, with almost 600,000 fans voting in the overall competition.
ABOUT BALLPARK DIGEST
Ballparkdigest.com is part of August Publications, a Middleton (WI)-based publisher of websites and books. Other offerings from August Publications include Arena Digest, Soccer Stadium Digest, Football Stadium Digest, Spring Training Online and Yellowstone Insider.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Missions Elimated from Playoff Contention - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Win Series Opener Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener 3-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Wisdom's Late Blast Lifts Sounds Past Missions - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Clinch American Northern Division - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Defeat OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Blanks Round Rock 4-0 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Aviators Announce Season Awards for 2019 Campaign - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-57) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Contreras to Begin Rehab Assignment with Iowa Tonight - Iowa Cubs
- Las Vegas Ballpark, Las Vegas Aviators Honored with Major Year-End Awards - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-68) at Iowa Cubs (72-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Ty France Named 2019 PCL MVP - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Named Most Valuable Player - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Facing Elimination from the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Fresno knocks off Tacoma 13-5 in series finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Shaw powers River Cats to team's 12th division title - Sacramento River Cats
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Power up Late to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Comeback in the 9th to Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Aviators Stories
- Fans for the Cure Virtual Road Trip
- Las Vegas Ballpark, in Partnership with Vitalant, Will Host the One October Memorial Blood Drive
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Shelved
- Re-Airing of Aviators Games on YurView Cox Channel 14
- Aviators Announce Ticket Policy for Postponed Games for 2020 Season at Las Vegas Ballpark