Omaha Blanks Round Rock 4-0 in Series Opener
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Omaha Storm Chasers (58-78) blanked the Round Rock Express (82-55) 4-0 in their series opener on Friday night at Werner Park. Omaha starter LHP Jake Kalish (8-8, 5.16) held off the E-Train for 7.0 innings to fuel the shutout.
In the convincing win, Kalish tossed four hitless innings and surrendered only three hits in the following three frames. Round Rock RHP Rogelio Armenteros (6-7, 4.80) suffered the loss after allowing four runs on seven hits and two walks in a 6.0-inning start.
After a scoreless first inning, the Storm Chaser struck as DH Jecksson Flores singled in RF Jorge Bonifacio, who had worked a leadoff walk and advanced to second on an LF Elier Hernandez single.
Omaha later doubled their lead as 2B Erik Mejia accomplished a rare steal of home. Mejia led off the fourth inning with a single and advanced when Bonifacio was hit by a pitch. The runner quickly swiped third base and eventually home plate when 1B Erich Weiss struck out.
The next frame, rehabbing Kansas City Royals SS Adalberto Mondesi burned the E-Train with a two-run homer, scoring a leadoff single courtesy 3B Jimmy Govern to extend the Storm Chasers lead to 4-0.
In the final two innings, the Storm Chasers bullpen held down the fort to ensure Round Rock's shutout defeat.
Round Rock hopes to bounce back in tomorrow afternoon's game two. Express RHP Cristian Javier (0-0, 0.00) is slated to start while the Storm Chasers plan to counter with RHP Arnaldo Hernandez (4-8, 6.26). First pitch at Werner Park is scheduled for 2:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Missions Elimated from Playoff Contention - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Win Series Opener Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener 3-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Wisdom's Late Blast Lifts Sounds Past Missions - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Clinch American Northern Division - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Defeat OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Blanks Round Rock 4-0 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Aviators Announce Season Awards for 2019 Campaign - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-57) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Contreras to Begin Rehab Assignment with Iowa Tonight - Iowa Cubs
- Las Vegas Ballpark, Las Vegas Aviators Honored with Major Year-End Awards - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-68) at Iowa Cubs (72-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Ty France Named 2019 PCL MVP - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Named Most Valuable Player - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Facing Elimination from the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Fresno knocks off Tacoma 13-5 in series finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Shaw powers River Cats to team's 12th division title - Sacramento River Cats
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Power up Late to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Comeback in the 9th to Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Former Express OF Yordan Alvarez Named AL Rookie of the Year
- Round Rock Express Name OF Kyle Tucker Most Valuable Player
- Round Rock Express 2019 Full-Season Game Notes
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year