Missions Elimated from Playoff Contention
NASHVILLE - The Missions rallied from an early 4-0 deficit to briefly tie Friday's affair at First Tennessee Park, but a solo homerun by Patrick Wisdom in the eighth inning provided the Sounds with a 6-5 win, which officially eliminated San Antonio from the American Southern Division pennant race.
First place Round Rock lost its game in Omaha, but the Missions needed to sweep their series in Nashville while hoping that Omaha swept Round Rock. That was the only scenario that would have put the Missions into the post season.
Corbin Burnes overcame a very shaky first inning in which he walked three and allowed four runs. He permitted only one run and two hits over his final four innings of work before calling it a night.
San Antonio tied the score at five in the eighth inning on a leadoff homerun by Tyrone Taylor and an rbi groundout from Tuffy Gosewisch.
Reliever Jake Faria quickly surrendered the lead when he served up Wisdom's homerun to start the home half of the eighth inning.
San Antonio was also hurt by the fact that it tied a season high by grounding into four double plays.
Friday's loss dropped the club's record to 4-20 in one run games on the road. They were 18-5 in one run games at Wolff Stadium.
Several players are expected to be promoted to Milwaukee prior to Saturday's contest.
RH Zack Brown (3-7) vs RH Pedro Payano (2-3) 7:05 PM
KONO 860 AM
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Missions Elimated from Playoff Contention - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Win Series Opener Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener 3-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Wisdom's Late Blast Lifts Sounds Past Missions - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Clinch American Northern Division - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Defeat OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Blanks Round Rock 4-0 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Aviators Announce Season Awards for 2019 Campaign - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-57) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Contreras to Begin Rehab Assignment with Iowa Tonight - Iowa Cubs
- Las Vegas Ballpark, Las Vegas Aviators Honored with Major Year-End Awards - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-68) at Iowa Cubs (72-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Ty France Named 2019 PCL MVP - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Named Most Valuable Player - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Facing Elimination from the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Fresno knocks off Tacoma 13-5 in series finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Shaw powers River Cats to team's 12th division title - Sacramento River Cats
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Power up Late to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Comeback in the 9th to Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- San Antonio Missions Announce 2020 Schedule
- Former Missions Outfielder Trent Grisham Named Milwaukee Brewers Minor League Player of the Year
- 2019 Season Review
- Sorting out Bittersweet Memories
- Missions Catcher David Freitas Wins Pacific Coast League Batting Title