I-Cubs Clinch American Northern Division
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (73-64) beat the Memphis Redbirds (68-69) 5-1 to win the PCL American Northern division for the first time since 2008, Friday at Principal Park.
Iowa jumped on Tommy Parsons in his first Triple-A start, getting five runs on two home runs in the first inning. Robel Garcia hit a grand slam and on the next pitch, Jim Adduci sent a solo shot over the right field wall.
Trevor Clifton kept the Redbirds off the board, tossing 4.0 scoreless innings allowing just four hits while walking two and striking out two.
Memphis got a run back in the fifth inning off of reliever Duane Underwood Jr., but that was all they would get.
Brad Wieck, James Norwood, and Dillon Maples closed out the game to send the I-Cubs to the PCL playoffs for the first time since 2008.
- Willson Contreras went 0-1 with a lineout to left field and was hit by a pitch in his first game on major league rehab.
- Robel Garcia stayed red-hot, going 3-for-4 with a run scored and four runs batted in on his first inning grand slam. It was García's sixth three-hit game of the season, and he is the seventh different player to hit a grand slam for Iowa in 2019.
Iowa and Memphis meet for game two of the four-game set tomorrow at Principal Park. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Missions Elimated from Playoff Contention - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Win Series Opener Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener 3-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Wisdom's Late Blast Lifts Sounds Past Missions - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Clinch American Northern Division - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Defeat OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Blanks Round Rock 4-0 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Aviators Announce Season Awards for 2019 Campaign - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-57) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Contreras to Begin Rehab Assignment with Iowa Tonight - Iowa Cubs
- Las Vegas Ballpark, Las Vegas Aviators Honored with Major Year-End Awards - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-68) at Iowa Cubs (72-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Ty France Named 2019 PCL MVP - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Named Most Valuable Player - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Facing Elimination from the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Fresno knocks off Tacoma 13-5 in series finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Shaw powers River Cats to team's 12th division title - Sacramento River Cats
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Power up Late to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Comeback in the 9th to Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.