Contreras to Begin Rehab Assignment with Iowa Tonight
DES MOINES, IA - Willson Contreras is slated to begin a rehab assignment with the Iowa Cubs as they take on the Memphis Redbirds at 7:08 tonight at Principal Park. Contreras is expected to bat second and catch.
The 27-year-old has been sidelined since Aug. 10 with a right hamstring strain. The catcher is batting .275 (81-for-295) with 19 home runs and 57 RBI in 87 games with the Cubs this season. He was previously on the injured list with a right foot strain for 10 days in July.
Contreras signed with the Cubs as a non-drafted free agent in 2009 as an infielder, and converted to catching during the 2012 season. He made his Triple-A debut with Iowa on Opening Day in 2016 and hit .353 (72-for-204) in 55 games before getting his first major league call up in June.
Since his time in Iowa, Contreras has helped the Cubs to a World Series Championship in 2016 and earned back-to-back N.L. All-Star honors in 2018 and 2019.
Iowa plays as the Iowa Caucuses tonight to kick off its final regular-season homestand of the year. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Missions Elimated from Playoff Contention - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Win Series Opener Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener 3-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Wisdom's Late Blast Lifts Sounds Past Missions - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Clinch American Northern Division - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Defeat OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Blanks Round Rock 4-0 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Aviators Announce Season Awards for 2019 Campaign - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-57) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Contreras to Begin Rehab Assignment with Iowa Tonight - Iowa Cubs
- Las Vegas Ballpark, Las Vegas Aviators Honored with Major Year-End Awards - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-68) at Iowa Cubs (72-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Ty France Named 2019 PCL MVP - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Named Most Valuable Player - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Facing Elimination from the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Fresno knocks off Tacoma 13-5 in series finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Shaw powers River Cats to team's 12th division title - Sacramento River Cats
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Power up Late to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Comeback in the 9th to Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.