Fresno knocks off Tacoma 13-5 in series finale
Fresno, California - The Fresno Grizzlies (61-75) defeated the Tacoma Rainiers (59-76) 13-5 Thursday evening from Chukchansi Park. Fresno won the four-game set and finished 7-9 against Tacoma this season. Paolo Espino (8-4) relished the victory after five innings of work. He struck out six. Mike Wright Jr. (2-5) was tagged the loss after four frames. He allowed seven runs.
The Grizzlies notched 14 hits, giving them 34 in the past two contests. Wilmer Difo collected five of them. Difo was not retired, spanking a pair of doubles and a triple. He also drove in five runs, his first time reaching that feat this year. Yadiel Hernandez also had a big night, adding two hits. One of those hits left the yard, his club-high 32nd of 2019. He remains third all-time in single-season homers, trailing A.J. Reed's mark by two. Hernandez mustered four RBI as well, his second straight affair doing so.
Luis Sardinas poked a pair of hits, RBI and run. That extended Sardinas' hit streak to five games, the longest for him since joining Fresno. Alec Keller also had two hits and three runs. Keller's average is just a tick below .300. Joan Baez (hold) and Michael Blazek (save, 1) hurled two scoreless innings apiece.
Jaycob Brugman highlighted the Rainiers lineup with four RBI. He tallied one double. John Andreoli whacked a triple and scored once. The Grizzlies have four games remaining this season.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- 2B Wilmer Difo (5-5, 3B, 2 2B, 5 RBI, 3 R)
- DH Yadiel Hernandez (2-4, HR, 4 RBI, R)
- SS Luis Sardinas (2-3, 2 RBI, 2 R, BB)
- RF Alec Keller (2-4, 3 R)
Top Performers: Tacoma Rainiers (Seattle Mariners)
- DH Jaycob Brugman (1-4, 2B, 4 RBI)
- LF John Andreoli (1-2, 3B, RBI, R, 2 BB)
- RHP Dan Altavilla (1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Friday August 30 Albuquerque Isotopes (Home) RHP Scott Copeland (Fresno) vs. LHP Pat Dean (Albuquerque) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / KAIL-13
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: The 2017 Grizzlies' franchise record of 200 home runs is in peril; this year's club is ahead of the pace, tracking to hit 205 homers (199, four games left). While baseballs may be different this season, the 2017 PCL schedule was 142 games when Fresno led all of Minor League Baseball in home runs. The 2019 Grizzlies will play 140 games or fewer. Yadiel Hernandez (32) and Brandon Snyder (30) both rank in the top four of the single-season homer mark.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Missions Elimated from Playoff Contention - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Win Series Opener Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener 3-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Wisdom's Late Blast Lifts Sounds Past Missions - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Clinch American Northern Division - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Defeat OKC - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Blanks Round Rock 4-0 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Aviators Announce Season Awards for 2019 Campaign - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-57) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Contreras to Begin Rehab Assignment with Iowa Tonight - Iowa Cubs
- Las Vegas Ballpark, Las Vegas Aviators Honored with Major Year-End Awards - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-68) at Iowa Cubs (72-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Ty France Named 2019 PCL MVP - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Named Most Valuable Player - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Facing Elimination from the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Fresno knocks off Tacoma 13-5 in series finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Shaw powers River Cats to team's 12th division title - Sacramento River Cats
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Power up Late to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Comeback in the 9th to Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th