Bradford Backs K-Wings to Victory
SALT LAKE CITY, UT--The Kalamazoo Wings (10-5-0-0) took down the Utah Grizzlies (10-7-1-0) behind a strong team effort at Maverik Center on Friday night.
The K-Wings opened the scoring midway through the first period. With 9:12 remaining, Kalamazoo executed a give-and-go type play that left Jake Slaker open between the circles. Slaker nailed a one-timer that ricocheted and trickled past the goalie. Logan Lambdin was credited with the assist on the play.
An uneventful second period saw each team unable to capitalize on a power-play opportunity. Kalamazoo managed only seven shots to Utah's eight.
Things would get interesting in the third frame. 30 seconds into the period, K-Wings goaltender Trevor Gorsuch had an incredible three-save sequence. That sequence led to a penalty shot being awarded to the Grizzlies. Utah Defender Charle-Edouard D'Astous was denied by Gorsuch, preserving the 1-0 lead. 4:19 into the third period, Grizzlies forward Tyler Penner found the net on the second rebounded shot in front of the net.
Kalamazoo forward Erik Bradford would respond two and a half minutes later. Max Humitz had a breakaway shot that failed to get past the goalie, but Bradford followed right behind to find the net and give the K-Wings the lead. One minute later, Bradford fired a slap shot from the left wing that snuck through the legs of the goalie to make it 3-1 Kalamazoo.
A roughing penalty on Taylor Crunk gave the K-Wings a power-play opportunity. However, Grizzlies Forward Brandon Cutler scored a short-handed goal on a breakaway off the bench to make it 3-2. Kalamazoo was unable to capitalize. The Grizzlies pulled their goalie with just under two minutes remaining. Tanner Sorenson scored the empty netter to put the game on ice.
Gorsuch was incredible for the second night in a row, stopping 35 of the 37 shots he faced in a winning effort.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 5, 2021
- Americans Fall to Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Three Power Play Goals Lift Walleye over Cyclones, 4-3 - Toledo Walleye
- Doremus' Five-Point Game Helps Oilers Snap League's Longest Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Falls Short on Sunday in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Ortiz Punctuates Weekend in Thrilling Fashion - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Cruise Past Americans, 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Indy Picks up Point in Overtime Loss to Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Rabbits Fall Short in Overtime to Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cherniwchan Can't be Stopped, Nets Game-Winner in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Take Care of Mariners to Extend Win Streak to Four Straight - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Fall 4-1 to Thunder for Second Straight Day - Maine Mariners
- Wichita Heads to Tulsa this Afternoon - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - December 5 - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- IceHogs Recall Cliff Watson from the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host Rapid City, 2:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Wings Defeat Grizz 4-2 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Cyclones Drop 4-0 Game to Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bradford Backs K-Wings to Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.