Indy Picks up Point in Overtime Loss to Wheeling
WHEELING - In the third and final game of the weekend, the Indy Fuel visited the Wheeling Nailers on Sunday afternoon. Scoring a late tying goal would not be enough as Indy would fall 3-2 in overtime to their division rival.
The Indy Fuel would be the first team to get on the board when Cedric Lacroix jumped on a rebound and tapped the puck past a sprawling Stefanos Lekkas. The Nailers would respond almost immediately when Felix Pare beat Tom Aubrun on a 2-on-1, tying the game 1-1 with 7:32 to go in the period.
Although being handed two chances on the man-advantage, the Fuel would be unable to beat Lekkas. Indy would outshoot 11-5 through the second 20 minutes but didn't take the lead, sending both teams into the locker room tied 1-1.
It would only take three minutes before the Wheeling Nailers took the lead. Getting alone behind the Fuel defense, Chris Ortiz received a pass from Nick Hutchison and fired a wrist shot past Aubrun, making the score 2-1. Fighting to tie the game late in the third period, Cedric Lacroix would pick up his second goal of the game when he deflected a backhand shot from Liam Folkes past Lekkas.
Neither team would score in the remaining minutes sending the game to overtime. The Nailers would control the majority of the overtime period, outshooting the Fuel 7-1. After four minutes, the Nailers would earn the 3-2 win when Chris Ortiz one-timed a pass from Nick Hutchison.
Various ticket options are now on sale for the Fuel's 8th season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Lock up your seat for every second of the action at Indiana Farmers Coliseum with a Fuel Ticket Plan - grab yours by heading to IndyFuelHockey.com or by calling the Fuel front office at 317-925-FUEL. Don't forget to follow the Fuel on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (IndyFuel) for news, updates, contests and much more throughout the 2021-22 season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 5, 2021
- Americans Fall to Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Three Power Play Goals Lift Walleye over Cyclones, 4-3 - Toledo Walleye
- Doremus' Five-Point Game Helps Oilers Snap League's Longest Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Falls Short on Sunday in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Ortiz Punctuates Weekend in Thrilling Fashion - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Cruise Past Americans, 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Indy Picks up Point in Overtime Loss to Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Rabbits Fall Short in Overtime to Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cherniwchan Can't be Stopped, Nets Game-Winner in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Take Care of Mariners to Extend Win Streak to Four Straight - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Fall 4-1 to Thunder for Second Straight Day - Maine Mariners
- Wichita Heads to Tulsa this Afternoon - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - December 5 - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- IceHogs Recall Cliff Watson from the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host Rapid City, 2:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Wings Defeat Grizz 4-2 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Cyclones Drop 4-0 Game to Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bradford Backs K-Wings to Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.