'Blades Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss to Atlanta
ESTERO, Fla. - Nolan LaPorte and Luke Stork registered goals and Sean Bonar made 25 saves to give the Atlanta Gladiators a 2-1 win over the Florida Everblades on Friday night at Hertz Arena.
Florida (22-7-5-0, 49 pts.) scored first, but Atlanta (8-18-5-1, 22 pts.) had the final two scores of the night to snap an 18-game losing streak against the 'Blades and hand Florida its first home loss in 13 games.
Florida broke the scoreless tie at 5:18 of the second period on Blake Winiecki's ninth goal of the season. On a rush led by Justin Auger and Winiecki, the 'Blades rushed into the Gladiators zone on a two-on-one. As Auger got to the right circle, he sent a tape-to-tape pass to Winiecki who one-timed past the blocker of Bonar for the goal. The assist for Auger extended his point streak to six games.
The Gladiators answered back at 12:04 of the second with a power-play goal from LaPorte to tie the game. A David Mazurek pass from the point found Joel Messner at the bottom of the left circle. LaPorte then picked up a loose puck in the right circle fired a shot past a sliding Phillips for the tally.
Atlanta took its first lead of the game a few minutes later at 15:12 of the period when a pass from Derek Nesbitt found Stork in the slot for a shot that beat Phillips on the blocker side.
The 'Blades spent the majority of the third period in the Gladiators' end, outshooting the Gladiators 10-3 in the final frame. Florida pulled Phillips for an extra attacker with 1:40 to play but was unable to put one past Bonar.
Phillips stopped 15 of the 17 shots he faced in his first home loss of the season.
Florida wraps up the first of two straight weekends at home with the series finale against the Gladiators on Saturday night at 7 p.m.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades T-Shirt!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 4, 2019
- Madsen's Strong Outing Not Enough as Reading Defeats Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Superb Special Teams Spark Fuel to Win against Nailers - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Battle out Gritty Win on Home Ice, 6-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
- 'Blades Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss to Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Defiel Powers Stingrays to 4-1 Win with 49 Saves - South Carolina Stingrays
- Oilers Blank Allen to Open 2019 - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Drop Close One on Throwback Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Atlanta Snaps Losing Streak to Everblades with 2-1 Victory in Florida - Atlanta Gladiators
- Walleye Hold off Late K-Wings Comeback - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Hold off Nailers Comeback - Wheeling Nailers
- Combined Shutout and 2nd-Period Barrage Annihilates Admirals, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Thunder Extend Point Streak to Six in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Fall Flat vs. Brampton - Maine Mariners
- Railers First Ever Trip to South Carolina Ends with a 4-1 Loss to Stingrays - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Snap Thunder Winning Streak with 5-4 Overtime Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Jacksonville Takes Care of Business North of the Border - Jacksonville IceMen
- IceMen Tame the Growlers 2-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Defenseman Justin Wade Recalled to AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 4 - ECHL
- Utica Comets Sign Alex Sakellaropoulos - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers at Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 4 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Add Van Allen - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder, Grizzlies Round Two Tonight in Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Join the Swamp Rabbits' Season Ticket Member Family - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Thunder Add Cooper Jones to Roster - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Wings Kick off 2019 in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Hosts Norfolk for Only Time this Season - Reading Royals
- Joel Messner Returns from Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale
- Winiecki's Two-Goal Game Leads 'Blades to Eighth Straight Win
- Clutch Callum: Booth Leads 'Blades to 2-1 Shootout Win
- Everblades Add Mercyhurst University Captain Lammon
- Road Warriors: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Shootout Victory