Bears Wrap Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Loss to Phantoms
March 26, 2023 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Hershey Bears News Release
(Hershey, PA) The Hershey Bears (38-16-5-4) extended their point streak to six games (4-0-0-2) but suffered a 4-3 shootout loss to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms (33-25-3-3) on Sunday night at GIANT Center.
Both teams played through a scoreless first period, with Zach Fucale and Samuel Ersson turning aside several chances for their respective clubs.
The Bears took the first lead of the contest with a power-play goal at 4:05 of the second period when Garrett Pilon one-timed an Aaron Ness pass at the left circle past Ersson for his eighth of the season; Mike Sgarbossa earned a secondary helper.
Hershey struck with a 5-on-3 man advantage at 10:31 when Ethen Frank and Joe Snively connected in the slot and Snively blasted a shot that glanced off of Sam Anas past Ersson to make it 2-0, giving Anas his 10th of the season. The period concluded with Hershey outshooting Lehigh Valley 21-6 in the frame, matching the previous season-high for shots on goal.
Louie Belpedio scored with a one-timer at 3:32 of the third period to trim the lead to 2-1.
Julian Napravnik answered with his fifth of the season at 4:58 when Henrik Rybinski sent a pass from the right side to the hash-marks and Napravnik beat Ersson to make it 3-1.
The Phantoms responded moments later when Ryan Fitzgerald split the Hershey defense and got a shot through Fucale at 6:25 to make it a one-goal contest.
Artem Anisimov then tied the game with a power-play goal at 9:47.
With the game still tied 3-3 through the end of regulation and overtime, the Bears and Phantoms went to the shootout against each other for the second time this season. Hershey elected to shoot second; Sgarbossa and Napravnik were stopped by Ersson, while Jordy Bellerive and Bobby Brink notched goals in the first and third round to seal the game for Lehigh Valley.
Shots finished 40-24 in favor of the Bears. Fucale went 20-for-23 for Hershey; Ersson was 37-for-40 for Lehigh Valley. The Bears were 2-for-6 on the power play; the Phantoms finished 1-for-5 with the man advantage.
Hershey continues the 2022-23 season, presented by Penn State Health, when the Bears open a five-game road trip against the Toronto Marlies on Wednesday, March 29 at 11 a.m. at the Coca-Cola Coliseum. The Chocolate and White return home to GIANT Center where they will host the Charlotte Checkers for Berk's Ham Shoot Night on Saturday, April 6 at 7 p.m. Purchase tickets for the game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2023
- Reign Sweeps Canucks - Ontario Reign
- Abbotsford Canucks Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Abbotsford Canucks
- Phantoms Rally Late Again, Stun Bears in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Wrap Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Loss to Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Game Day - SD vs CGY - 03.26.2023 - Calgary Wranglers
- Abbotsford Canucks Fall to the Reign 3-2 in Overtime - Abbotsford Canucks
- Roadrunners Outlast Eagles in 2-1 Overtime Victory to Complete Two-Game Sweep - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolves Delay Stars Chance to Clinch Playoff Berth - Texas Stars
- Wolves Outshine Stars 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Jump out to Early Lead, Cruise to 5-1 Win over Penguins - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Roadrunners Top Eagles 2-1 in OT, as Colorado Clinches Playoff Berth - Colorado Eagles
- Penguins Lose to Wolf Pack - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Sweep Weekend with 5-2 Win over Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Comets Defeated by Crunch, 6-1 - Utica Comets
- Moose Downed by Laval, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Come up Short in 5-2 Loss against Americans - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Announce Two Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Suffer Second Straight Defeat to Providence - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Top Checkers, Extend Win Streak to Seven Games - Providence Bruins
- Colorado Eagles Release McCourt, Cutler - Colorado Eagles
- Robinson Assigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Pens Swap Frasca for Nappier with Wheeling, Sign Roehl to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Foerster and Zamula Return to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Wrap up Final Three-In-Three Set with Date vs. Penguins - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Phantoms, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #64 - Tucson Roadrunners at Colorado Eagles - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Cruise Past Condors, 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Roadrunners Earn Largest Victory Of The Season With 7-1 Win Over Colorado Eagles - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Unable to Close Out Series in 4-1 Loss to Americans
- Eastern Conference Finals Game 5 Preview: Bears vs. Americans, 7 p.m.
- Bears Return Home with Series Lead against Amerks
- Former Hershey Coach Spencer Carbery Named Head Coach of Washington Capitals
- Bears Roar Back for 4-2 Win over Amerks, Take 3-1 Series Lead