Bad Start Sinks Mariners in Brampton
BRAMPTON, ON - The Mariners fell into a 3-0 hole and never recovered on Sunday afternoon in Brampton, splitting a two game series with the Beast and finishing their Canada road trip 1-3-0. Artur Tianulin scored three goals for Brampton, who added a pair of empty netters to bring the game to an ugly 7-3 final.
The Beast ambushed Mariners goaltender Ed Minney, who was making his team debut, with three goals in the first 6:15 of the game. Matt Petgrave at 2:02, Nathan Todd at 5:43 and Daniel Ciampini at 6:15 forced an early Mariners goaltending change. Wade Murphy put a slap shot five-hole on Beast goaltender Daniel Altshuller to make it a 3-1 game at 10:26 and Brycen Martin ripped home his fourth of the season at 12:32 to bring the game back to a one goal deficit by the end of the first.
Tianulin got the only goal of the second period when he blasted home a power play goal at 14:39. Morgan Adams-Moisan followed a Ty Ronning rush at 8:20 of the third for his team-leading 13th goal to get the margin back to one again but Tianulin at the answer at 11:34 and completed the hat trick with an empty netter at 12:58. Defenseman David Racine launched another empty net goal home from his own zone on a penalty kill at 15:15
Hannu Toivonen made 27 saves in relief of Minney, while Altshuller stopped 26 for his 2nd win of the season.
The Mariners begin a stretch of 9 of the next 12 on home ice, starting Wednesday against the Newfoundland Growlers at 7:00 PM. They are also home on Friday against the Manchester Monarchs at 7:15 for another 1-2-3 Friday: $1 hot dogs, $2 popcorn, and $3 Bud Light Drafts through the start of the second period. It's also Bath Savings night. Tickets to all home games can be purchased at MarinersOfMaine.com or by calling 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 13, 2019
- First Period Blitz Pushes Allen Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Three Straight Goals K-Wings Past Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Desmond Bergin Returned to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- IceMen Fight Back to Win in North Charleston - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers Edge OT Win over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Lynch Lifts Nailers to Overtime Victory - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Win Third Straight After 4-2 Home Win over the Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Pair of Askew Goals Not Enough for SC in Loss to IceMen - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Fall Short in 4-2 Loss to Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Tianulin's Hat-Trick Powers Beast Past Mariners - Brampton Beast
- Jared Vanwormer Returns to Mavericks After AHL Stint - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 13 - ECHL
- Bad Start Sinks Mariners in Brampton - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 13 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Hit Halfway Point against Komets, Dirk Rejoins K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Brian Ward Reassigned to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Rally for a 4-3 Win in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Take Three-Game Weekend with 5-3 Win over Walleye - Idaho Steelheads
- First Period Slips Away in Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Solar Bears Skate to 5-4 Shootout Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tulsa Sweeps Rapid City with Second Straight 5-1 Win - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Mariners Stories
- Mariners Use Special Teams to Snap Growlers Home Win Streak
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23
- Mariners Add Defenseman Dallas Rossiter
- Kile Continues Overtime Magic as Mariners Rally to Slay Beast