Steelheads Take Three-Game Weekend with 5-3 Win over Walleye
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (23-11-3) took all three games against the Toledo Walleye (23-10-4) thanks to a 5-3 win on Saturday night in front of a sold out crowd at CenturyLink Arena, the sixth sellout of the season and the second-straight sold out game.
The Steelheads opened the scoring in a back and forth game at 6:17 of the first period when forward Robbie Payne deflected a shot coming from the blue line on its way toward the net, taking an early 1-0 lead. The Walleye answered quickly at 6:46 thanks to forward Hunter Smith followed by another goal, this time from forward Dylan Sadowy at 11:12, to jump ahead 2-1. The Steelheads pushed back at 14:31 with a goal from forward Reid Petryk cutting across the crease behind the Walleye defense, tying the game at 2-2.
At 1:51 of the second period, Steelheads defenseman Nolan Gluchowski ripped a shot from the right circle in transition while 4-on-4 to take their first lead of the night, 3-2. The Walleye found a tying goal at 11:41 from forward Justin Kea to level the game again, 3-3. The Steelheads scored their lone power play goal of the night at 14:59 on a wrist shot from defenseman Ondrej Vala that proved to be the game-winner and a 4-3 lead.
The Steelheads held off the Walleye for most of the third period, especially with neutral zone play, and sealed the victory at 18:42 with an empty net goal by forward Spencer Naas on a takeaway in the offensive end and settling the score at 5-3. Steelheads netminder Colton Point (3-1-1) turned aside 34 of 37 shots in the win, while Walleye goaltender Pat Nagle (13-7-1) halted 37 of 41 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads open their first weekend of the season against the Allen Americans on Wednesday, Jan. 16 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK as well as 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Ch. 72 and ECHL TV.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 13, 2019
- First Period Blitz Pushes Allen Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Three Straight Goals K-Wings Past Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Desmond Bergin Returned to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- IceMen Fight Back to Win in North Charleston - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers Edge OT Win over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Lynch Lifts Nailers to Overtime Victory - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Win Third Straight After 4-2 Home Win over the Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Pair of Askew Goals Not Enough for SC in Loss to IceMen - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Fall Short in 4-2 Loss to Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Tianulin's Hat-Trick Powers Beast Past Mariners - Brampton Beast
- Jared Vanwormer Returns to Mavericks After AHL Stint - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 13 - ECHL
- Bad Start Sinks Mariners in Brampton - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 13 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Hit Halfway Point against Komets, Dirk Rejoins K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Brian Ward Reassigned to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Rally for a 4-3 Win in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Take Three-Game Weekend with 5-3 Win over Walleye - Idaho Steelheads
- First Period Slips Away in Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Solar Bears Skate to 5-4 Shootout Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tulsa Sweeps Rapid City with Second Straight 5-1 Win - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.