Steelheads Take Three-Game Weekend with 5-3 Win over Walleye
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (23-11-3) took all three games against the Toledo Walleye (23-10-4) thanks to a 5-3 win on Saturday night in front of a sold out crowd at CenturyLink Arena, the sixth sellout of the season and the second-straight sold out game.
The Steelheads opened the scoring in a back and forth game at 6:17 of the first period when forward Robbie Payne deflected a shot coming from the blue line on its way toward the net, taking an early 1-0 lead. The Walleye answered quickly at 6:46 thanks to forward Hunter Smith followed by another goal, this time from forward Dylan Sadowy at 11:12, to jump ahead 2-1. The Steelheads pushed back at 14:31 with a goal from forward Reid Petryk cutting across the crease behind the Walleye defense, tying the game at 2-2.
At 1:51 of the second period, Steelheads defenseman Nolan Gluchowski ripped a shot from the right circle in transition while 4-on-4 to take their first lead of the night, 3-2. The Walleye found a tying goal at 11:41 from forward Justin Kea to level the game again, 3-3. The Steelheads scored their lone power play goal of the night at 14:59 on a wrist shot from defenseman Ondrej Vala that proved to be the game-winner and a 4-3 lead.
The Steelheads held off the Walleye for most of the third period, especially with neutral zone play, and sealed the victory at 18:42 with an empty net goal by forward Spencer Naas on a takeaway in the offensive end and settling the score at 5-3. Steelheads netminder Colton Point (3-1-1) turned aside 34 of 37 shots in the win, while Walleye goaltender Pat Nagle (13-7-1) halted 37 of 41 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads open their first weekend of the season against the Allen Americans on Wednesday, Jan. 16 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK as well as 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Ch. 72 and ECHL TV.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 13, 2019
- First Period Blitz Pushes Allen Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Three Straight Goals K-Wings Past Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Desmond Bergin Returned to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- IceMen Fight Back to Win in North Charleston - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers Edge OT Win over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Lynch Lifts Nailers to Overtime Victory - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Win Third Straight After 4-2 Home Win over the Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Pair of Askew Goals Not Enough for SC in Loss to IceMen - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Fall Short in 4-2 Loss to Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Tianulin's Hat-Trick Powers Beast Past Mariners - Brampton Beast
- Jared Vanwormer Returns to Mavericks After AHL Stint - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 13 - ECHL
- Bad Start Sinks Mariners in Brampton - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 13 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Hit Halfway Point against Komets, Dirk Rejoins K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Brian Ward Reassigned to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Rally for a 4-3 Win in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Take Three-Game Weekend with 5-3 Win over Walleye - Idaho Steelheads
- First Period Slips Away in Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Solar Bears Skate to 5-4 Shootout Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tulsa Sweeps Rapid City with Second Straight 5-1 Win - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Early Scoring Leads Steelheads to 5-3 Win over Mavericks in Sellout
- Steelheads Weekly - February 17, 2020
- Steelheads Close Weekend with 4-1 Loss to Walleye
- Steelheads Takes 4-2 Win over Walleye to Open Battle of the Fish
- Goaltender Colton Point Reassigned to Texas Stars