Americans Rally for a 4-3 Win in Wichita
Wichita, Kansas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, rallied from a 3-0 first period deficit to beat the Wichita Thunder on Saturday night by a score of 4-3 at Intrust Bank Arena.
The Americans comeback started late in the second period, when Mitch Maloney scored his fourth goal of the season and second goal in as many nights. Allen put three more on the board in the third period including back to back power play goals from Alex Breton and Spencer Asuchak. Asuchak's goal, was the go-ahead goal late in the third period that would eventually give the Americans a two-game winning streak for the first time since late October.
"We never felt like the game was over despite giving up three goals early," said Americans Head Coach Steve Martinson. "We got our game going in the second period and made them pay for two third period penalties."
The Americans went two-for-five on the power play and outshot Wichita on the night 39 to 28. CJ Motte kept the Americans in it again stopping the last 20 shots he faced.
Allen will go for the sweep on Sunday afternoon at 4:05. The Americans don't return home until January 30th
1. ALN - S. Asuchak
2. WIC - R. Cuddemi
3. ALN - A. Breton
Americans Next Home Game:
Wednesday,January 30th vs. Idaho
Time: 7:05 pm CST
Venue: Allen Event Center
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 13, 2019
- First Period Blitz Pushes Allen Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Three Straight Goals K-Wings Past Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Desmond Bergin Returned to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- IceMen Fight Back to Win in North Charleston - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers Edge OT Win over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Lynch Lifts Nailers to Overtime Victory - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Win Third Straight After 4-2 Home Win over the Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Pair of Askew Goals Not Enough for SC in Loss to IceMen - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Fall Short in 4-2 Loss to Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Tianulin's Hat-Trick Powers Beast Past Mariners - Brampton Beast
- Jared Vanwormer Returns to Mavericks After AHL Stint - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 13 - ECHL
- Bad Start Sinks Mariners in Brampton - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 13 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Hit Halfway Point against Komets, Dirk Rejoins K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Brian Ward Reassigned to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Rally for a 4-3 Win in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Take Three-Game Weekend with 5-3 Win over Walleye - Idaho Steelheads
- First Period Slips Away in Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Solar Bears Skate to 5-4 Shootout Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tulsa Sweeps Rapid City with Second Straight 5-1 Win - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.