Auger Heroics Net RiverKings Overtime Win Over Oilers
SOUTHAVEN, MS --- Chris Auger netted the game-winning goal with 38 seconds remaining in overtime to give the Mississippi RiverKings a come from behind 4-3 victory over the Tulsa Oilers on Friday, February 4th at the DeSoto Civic Center in Southaven. Auger's seventh goal of the season completed a rally from 3-1 down after two periods in the battle between two of the three remaining teams from the rebirth of the Central Hockey League in 1992.
Mississippi opened the scoring in the first period, netting a power play with 48 seconds left in the period for a 1-0 lead. Louis Dumont scored his 12th goal of the season on a feed from Nathan Lutz for the goal. The goal gave Dumont three points in his last three games.
Mississippi out shot the Oilers 20-5 in the first period, equalling a season high for RiverKings shots on goal in one period of play. The RiverKings finished the game with 51 shots, also a new season high for one contest.
Tulsa took control of the contest in the second period with goals from Tom Dignard, Chad Costello, and Michel Beausoleil (power play goal) for a 3-1 lead after two periods. The goal from Costello gave him 32 points in his last 15 games.
However, the RiverKings responded quickly in the third period on a goal from Brennan Sarazin just 22 seconds into the third period to get Mississippi within a goal at 3-2. Sarazin scored his fourth goal of the year on the play.
Nathan Lutz tied the game later in the final frame with a power play blast from inside the blue line at 13:51 for his tenth goal of the season and sixth power play goal.
That took the game to overtime and set up Auger's heroics, as he pushed the puck into the net between the Tulsa goaltender's pads for the game-winner at 4:22.
Alexander Pechurskiy (11-8-0) was the winning goaltender for the RiverKings, stopping 22 of 25 shots on goal. Trevor Cann (9-3-1) suffered the overtime loss for Tulsa, make 47 saves on 51 shots on net.
Mississippi was 2-for-6 on the power play and Tulsa finished 1-for-5. The RiverKings out shot the Oilers 51-25.
With the win, the RiverKings moved within two points of Tulsa in the CHL Berry Conference standings, as Mississippi now has a 22-20-2 record and has earned points in its last three games (2-0-1 for five points). Tulsa saw a two-game winning streak stopped but has also earned standings points in its last three contests.
The same two teams meet tomorrow night at the DeSoto Civic Center in Southaven for the finale of the weekend series, starting at 7:05 PM. The night is Southland Park Gaming and Racing Night for Mid-South Greyhound Adoption Option. The RiverKings will wear special night jerseys, which will be auctioned off at the conclusion of the game. Proceeds will go to the MSGAO and the Jr. StreetKings youth roller hockey program in Hernando.
For RiverKings ticket information, call 662-342-1755 or go online to www.riverkings.com today!
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2011
- Battochio Continues Dominance in Texas, Earns 2-0 Shutout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Hold on for 2-1 Win Over Jacks - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Lose Final Game in Arizona - Laredo Bucks
- Auger Heroics Net RiverKings Overtime Win Over Oilers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Pair Of First Period Goals By Rush Beat Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Thunder Suffers Tough Loss in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Hold on for 3-2 Win - Quad City Mallards
- Hogg Leads Eagles Past Jackalopes - Colorado Eagles
- PrairieThunder Lose 3-2 at Quad City on Friday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Odessa's Joel Martin Signs with Ny Islanders - CHL
- Trade Made: Brahmas Get Sean Muncy from Mavs - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Acquire Foreward Todd Griffith in Trade with Texas - Kansas City Mavericks
- Joel Martin Signs with NHL's Islanders - Odessa Jackalopes
- Two More Games Postponed Due to Winter Storm - CHL
- Mallards' Brown Named Sher-Wood CHL Goaltender of the Month for January - Quad City Mallards
- Tonight's Mudbugs Game V. Evansville Postponed - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Quad City's David Brown Named Sher-Wood Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Americans Vs Brahmas Postponed Tonight - Allen Americans
- Friday Game in Allen Cancelled, Saturday Game Still On - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Dayton Gems Weekend Preview - Dayton Gems
- Perreault Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- New Bucks Insider Saturday on Fox 39 - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Host Tulsa for Two this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Shots from the Point for February 4, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.