Mallards' Brown Named Sher-Wood CHL Goaltender of the Month for January
MOLINE, Ill. (February 4, 2011) - The Quad City Mallards of the "AA" Central Hockey League today announced in conjunction with the CHL that the Mallards' David Brown has been named Sher-Wood CHL Goaltender of the Month for January.
Brown, 25, posted a sterling 1.37 goals against average, a stratospheric .958 save percentage and two shutouts while giving up just 11 goals in eight January starts. The Stoney Creek, Ontario, native finished the month with a 5-2-1 record. Brown gave up more than two goals in just one of those eight appearances and did not surrender more than three goals in a game last month.
Brown made a personal season high 43 saves on January 2 while blanking the Bloomington PrairieThunder. One week later, he turned aside 28 Komet shots as the Mallards went to overtime to win in Fort Wayne 1-0. Brown's superb play continued through last weekend- he gave up just a single goal in each of his last two starts as the Mallards earned three of a possible four points from those two outings.
On the season, the 6' 0", 185-pound Brown leads the CHL in goals against average (2.37) and save percentage (.928) and is tied for the league lead in shutouts (3).
This marks the second time in just over a month Brown has earned league honors. He was named CHL Goaltender of the Week for the period ending January 2.
Brown has been called up to the American Hockey League twice this season. He served as a backup goaltender for the AHL's Texas Stars on December 8 and for the Houston Aeros on January 14.
Brown joined the Mallards this season after tending goal for the ECHL's Gwinnett Gladiators last year. He went 10-19-3 in 33 games with the Gladiators while posting a 3.94 goals against average and a .888 save percentage.
Brown was originally selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the eighth round of the 2004 National Hockey League Entry Draft with the two hundred twenty-eighth overall pick and spent his first two seasons in the Penguins' organization.
Brown split his first two pro campaigns between the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL and the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League. As a rookie in 2007-08, Brown went 9-7-1 in 19 AHL games while turning in a 2.34 goals against average and a .913 save percentage. That campaign also saw him go 6-6-1 in 13 games in the ECHL with a 3.31 goals against average and a .913 save percentage. The following year Brown went 1-2-0 in four games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and 14-6-2 with a 3.06 goals against average and a .907 save percentage with Wheeling.
Before turning pro Brown enjoyed a standout four-year collegiate career at Notre Dame. As a freshman in 2003-04, he was named Notre Dame's Rookie of the Year after backstopping the Fighting Irish to the first NCAA tournament berth in school history. Brown's senior year likewise proved historic as he was named a Hobey Baker Award finalist while helping the Golden Domers to the first Central Collegiate Hockey Association regular season and playoff titles in the program's history and another NCAA tournament appearance. Brown set a host of school records in 2006-07, going 30-6-3 in 39 games with a 1.58 goals against average, a .931 save percentage and six shutouts. He led the nation in wins and goals against average and finished second in shutouts and save percentage on the way to earning First Team All-American West honors, being named CCHA Player of the Year and making the All-CCHA First Team. In 111 career games in the gold and blue Brown went 55-38-11 with a 2.32 goals against average, a .916 save percentage and 12 shutouts.
The Mallards return to action tonight at 7:05 p.m. on home ice against the PrairieThunder. The first 1,000 fans ages 18 and over through the doors for tonight's game will receive free Mallards black adult replica jersey courtesy of Q106.5 and WQAD News 8.
Tickets for tonight's game- and all Mallards regular season home games- are available in person at the i wireless Center box office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000. The ticket office is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days other than Sunday from 10:00 a.m. until the end of the first period. On Sundays on which the Mallards play at home, the ticket office is open from 1:00 p.m. until the end of the first period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2011
- Battochio Continues Dominance in Texas, Earns 2-0 Shutout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Hold on for 2-1 Win Over Jacks - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Lose Final Game in Arizona - Laredo Bucks
- Auger Heroics Net RiverKings Overtime Win Over Oilers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Pair Of First Period Goals By Rush Beat Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Thunder Suffers Tough Loss in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Hold on for 3-2 Win - Quad City Mallards
- Hogg Leads Eagles Past Jackalopes - Colorado Eagles
- PrairieThunder Lose 3-2 at Quad City on Friday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Odessa's Joel Martin Signs with Ny Islanders - CHL
- Trade Made: Brahmas Get Sean Muncy from Mavs - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Acquire Foreward Todd Griffith in Trade with Texas - Kansas City Mavericks
- Joel Martin Signs with NHL's Islanders - Odessa Jackalopes
- Two More Games Postponed Due to Winter Storm - CHL
- Mallards' Brown Named Sher-Wood CHL Goaltender of the Month for January - Quad City Mallards
- Tonight's Mudbugs Game V. Evansville Postponed - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Quad City's David Brown Named Sher-Wood Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Americans Vs Brahmas Postponed Tonight - Allen Americans
- Friday Game in Allen Cancelled, Saturday Game Still On - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Dayton Gems Weekend Preview - Dayton Gems
- Perreault Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- New Bucks Insider Saturday on Fox 39 - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Host Tulsa for Two this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Shots from the Point for February 4, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings