Mallards Hold on for 3-2 Win
MOLINE, Ill. - Bobby Preece scored what proved to be the game winning goal early in the third period and Adam Russo made 35 saves as the host Quad City Mallards survived a late Bloomington PrairieThunder comeback bid on the way to a 3-2 victory Friday night.
The Mallards scored once in each period to build a 3-0 lead they protected until the PrairieThunder finally broke loose for a pair of goals just under a minute and a half apart late in the third period. The Thunder solved Russo for the first time when Jason Dale scored from the slot at 17:08 of the third. A mere 89 seconds later- after Bloomington pulled goaltender Marco Emond for an extra attacker- Jon Booras buried Brodie Sheahan's feed from the doorstep and the Mallard lead was suddenly reduced to just a single goal. Russo and the Flock would, however, hold off the PrairieThunder the rest of the way.
Earlier on, it seemed the Mallards might have been on the way to a more comfortable win. Quad City was on the power play when Jake Riddle roofed the opening goal from the doorstep at 9:58 of the first period.
Zach Pearson doubled the Mallard lead by tipping in a shorthanded goal at 3:47 of the second period.
Preece stretched the gap to 3-0 at 3:20 of the third. The rookie defenseman fired a rebound in under the crossbar after Emond stopped Obi Aduba's initial drive. In the end, what was Preece's first career goal would stand up as the difference.
The Mallards return to action tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. on home ice against the Dayton Gems. The first 1,000 fans through the doors for Saturday's game will receive free Mallards caps courtesy of WLLR and WQAD News 8.
Tickets for tomorrow night's game- and all Mallards regular season home games- are available in person at the i wireless Center box office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000. The ticket office is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days other than Sunday from 10:00 a.m. until the end of the first period. On Sundays on which the Mallards play at home, the ticket office is open from 1:00 p.m. until the end of the first period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2011
- Battochio Continues Dominance in Texas, Earns 2-0 Shutout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Hold on for 2-1 Win Over Jacks - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Lose Final Game in Arizona - Laredo Bucks
- Auger Heroics Net RiverKings Overtime Win Over Oilers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Pair Of First Period Goals By Rush Beat Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Thunder Suffers Tough Loss in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Hold on for 3-2 Win - Quad City Mallards
- Hogg Leads Eagles Past Jackalopes - Colorado Eagles
- PrairieThunder Lose 3-2 at Quad City on Friday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Odessa's Joel Martin Signs with Ny Islanders - CHL
- Trade Made: Brahmas Get Sean Muncy from Mavs - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Acquire Foreward Todd Griffith in Trade with Texas - Kansas City Mavericks
- Joel Martin Signs with NHL's Islanders - Odessa Jackalopes
- Two More Games Postponed Due to Winter Storm - CHL
- Mallards' Brown Named Sher-Wood CHL Goaltender of the Month for January - Quad City Mallards
- Tonight's Mudbugs Game V. Evansville Postponed - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Quad City's David Brown Named Sher-Wood Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Americans Vs Brahmas Postponed Tonight - Allen Americans
- Friday Game in Allen Cancelled, Saturday Game Still On - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Dayton Gems Weekend Preview - Dayton Gems
- Perreault Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- New Bucks Insider Saturday on Fox 39 - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Host Tulsa for Two this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Shots from the Point for February 4, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings