Pair Of First Period Goals By Rush Beat Bees
HIDALGO, Texas- The Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees (17-24-3) fell to the Rapid City Rush (26-17-4) after the Rush scored a pair of goals in a 56-second span in the first period to build their first lead of the game. Juliano Pagliero turned away 39 shots on net. Danny Battochio earned the shutout with 21 saves against the Bees.
Rapid City scored the first goal of the game on a weird bounce off the back boards. Les Reaney ripped a shot from the top of the circles that bounced off the back boards directly to the stick of Valdimir Hartinger who ripped it into the open net after Juliano Pagliero had come out to challenge the Reaney shot.
Only 56 seconds later the Rush increased their lead to two goals as Brendon Hodge took a failed Killer Bees clearing attempt and deked past Pagliero with a backhanded finish.
At the end of one period of play the Rush were outshooting the Killer Bees by a 24-4 mark.
The second period was devoid of any scoring though the Bees did have a few chances and found themselves with a much closer shot total at 11 to seven.
In the third period the Killer Bees would have a few chances on net including two shots ring off the post. The best chances for the Killer Bees game at the end of the game when Rapid City took a pair of penalties and the Bees pulled Juliano Pagliero.
The Bees took a number of shots on net but Danny Battochio was able to turn away all shots and finished the shutout making 21 saves. Juliano Pagliero made 39 saves on the 41 shots he faced.
The Killer Bees penalty kill held the lethal Rapid City power-play to 0-8. The Killer Bees finished with a 0-5 man advantage, though much of that time was shortened.
The Killer Bees and Rush will finish their two game series on Saturday night at the State Farm Arena. Tickets are available by calling 843-PUCK (7825) or visiting killerbeehockey.com. Puck drops at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2011
- Battochio Continues Dominance in Texas, Earns 2-0 Shutout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Hold on for 2-1 Win Over Jacks - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Lose Final Game in Arizona - Laredo Bucks
- Auger Heroics Net RiverKings Overtime Win Over Oilers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Pair Of First Period Goals By Rush Beat Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Thunder Suffers Tough Loss in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Hold on for 3-2 Win - Quad City Mallards
- Hogg Leads Eagles Past Jackalopes - Colorado Eagles
- PrairieThunder Lose 3-2 at Quad City on Friday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Odessa's Joel Martin Signs with Ny Islanders - CHL
- Trade Made: Brahmas Get Sean Muncy from Mavs - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Acquire Foreward Todd Griffith in Trade with Texas - Kansas City Mavericks
- Joel Martin Signs with NHL's Islanders - Odessa Jackalopes
- Two More Games Postponed Due to Winter Storm - CHL
- Mallards' Brown Named Sher-Wood CHL Goaltender of the Month for January - Quad City Mallards
- Tonight's Mudbugs Game V. Evansville Postponed - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Quad City's David Brown Named Sher-Wood Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Americans Vs Brahmas Postponed Tonight - Allen Americans
- Friday Game in Allen Cancelled, Saturday Game Still On - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Dayton Gems Weekend Preview - Dayton Gems
- Perreault Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- New Bucks Insider Saturday on Fox 39 - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Host Tulsa for Two this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Shots from the Point for February 4, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.