Joel Martin Signs with NHL's Islanders
ODESSA, TX - Odessa Jackalopes goaltender Joel Martin has signed with the National Hockey League's New York Islanders.
Martin becomes the first player in franchise history to sign a contract with an NHL club. Martin has recently been playing with Odessa's American Hockey League affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The Islanders are the NHL parent club to Bridgeport. Martin's contract is a two-way agreement with New York, and he will continue to play with the Sound Tigers for now.
Martin started the season in Odessa after attending training camp with both the Isles and Sound Tigers. He went 10-9-0 with a 3.61 GAA and a .888 SV% before moving up to the AHL. The Three Hills, Alberta native has appeared in five games this year for Bridgeport with a 2.99 GAA and a .911 SV%.
Martin was named the Central Hockey League's Most Outstanding Goaltender last season with the Jacks. He put together a 27-6-2 campaign with a 2.50 GAA and a .918 SV% helping guide Odessa to the league's best overall record in the regular season.
The Jackalopes begin a weekend set against the Colorado Eagles tonight at the Ector County Coliseum. Game time is set for 7:05 PM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2011
- Battochio Continues Dominance in Texas, Earns 2-0 Shutout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Hold on for 2-1 Win Over Jacks - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Lose Final Game in Arizona - Laredo Bucks
- Auger Heroics Net RiverKings Overtime Win Over Oilers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Pair Of First Period Goals By Rush Beat Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Thunder Suffers Tough Loss in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Hold on for 3-2 Win - Quad City Mallards
- Hogg Leads Eagles Past Jackalopes - Colorado Eagles
- PrairieThunder Lose 3-2 at Quad City on Friday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Odessa's Joel Martin Signs with Ny Islanders - CHL
- Trade Made: Brahmas Get Sean Muncy from Mavs - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Acquire Foreward Todd Griffith in Trade with Texas - Kansas City Mavericks
- Joel Martin Signs with NHL's Islanders - Odessa Jackalopes
- Two More Games Postponed Due to Winter Storm - CHL
- Mallards' Brown Named Sher-Wood CHL Goaltender of the Month for January - Quad City Mallards
- Tonight's Mudbugs Game V. Evansville Postponed - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Quad City's David Brown Named Sher-Wood Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Americans Vs Brahmas Postponed Tonight - Allen Americans
- Friday Game in Allen Cancelled, Saturday Game Still On - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Dayton Gems Weekend Preview - Dayton Gems
- Perreault Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- New Bucks Insider Saturday on Fox 39 - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Host Tulsa for Two this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Shots from the Point for February 4, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.