Hogg Leads Eagles Past Jackalopes
ODESSA, Texas - The Colorado Eagles extended their winning streak to six games -- and maintained their spot at the top of the Turner Conference -- with a 2-1 win in the first of back-to-back games against the Odessa Jackalopes. Adam Hogg scored both of Colorado's goals, and Kyle Jones won his sixth start in a row.
Despite the clubs combining to have four of the top six point-producers in the league, the first frame went score-less. Odessa went 0-2 on the only power plays of the period and out-shot Colorado 15-10.
Each team tallied a goal in the second period to enter the third knotted at 1. Odessa got the game's first goal at 7:57 of the second stanza after a turnover in the Eagles' offensive zone led to a 3-on-2 rush the opposite way. After Mike Lesperance and Kevin Seibel crisscrossed in the high slot, Sebastien Thinel -- the league's leading scorer -- capitalized on a rebound kicked into the right circle for a slap-shot past Jones.
The Eagles evened the score just under seven minutes later with a 4-on-4 goal. On the play, Aaron Schneekloth took the puck in the neutral zone and sped down the right wing, curled behind the net and circled back through the slot before sending a shot toward Michel Robinson. Hogg happened to be stationed alone on the doorstep and was able to shove home the rebound.
Both goalies continued to stymie the opposing offenses in the third period, but at 12:23, Hogg would get the final frame's only goal when Matt Glasser found him wide open again on the doorstep for the game-winner (the second game in a row Hogg has tallied the deciding goal).
The teams will meet again Saturday night as they close out their season series.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2011
- Battochio Continues Dominance in Texas, Earns 2-0 Shutout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Hold on for 2-1 Win Over Jacks - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Lose Final Game in Arizona - Laredo Bucks
- Auger Heroics Net RiverKings Overtime Win Over Oilers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Pair Of First Period Goals By Rush Beat Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Thunder Suffers Tough Loss in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Hold on for 3-2 Win - Quad City Mallards
- Hogg Leads Eagles Past Jackalopes - Colorado Eagles
- PrairieThunder Lose 3-2 at Quad City on Friday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Odessa's Joel Martin Signs with Ny Islanders - CHL
- Trade Made: Brahmas Get Sean Muncy from Mavs - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Acquire Foreward Todd Griffith in Trade with Texas - Kansas City Mavericks
- Joel Martin Signs with NHL's Islanders - Odessa Jackalopes
- Two More Games Postponed Due to Winter Storm - CHL
- Mallards' Brown Named Sher-Wood CHL Goaltender of the Month for January - Quad City Mallards
- Tonight's Mudbugs Game V. Evansville Postponed - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Quad City's David Brown Named Sher-Wood Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Americans Vs Brahmas Postponed Tonight - Allen Americans
- Friday Game in Allen Cancelled, Saturday Game Still On - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Dayton Gems Weekend Preview - Dayton Gems
- Perreault Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- New Bucks Insider Saturday on Fox 39 - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Host Tulsa for Two this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Shots from the Point for February 4, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction