Amerks Rally in Third, Top Wolf Pack in Shootout
(Hartford, CT) ... By scoring twice in the final period of regulation, the Rochester Americans (3-1-0-0) closed out their three-in-three weekend with an incredible come-from-behind shootout victory over the Hartford Wolf Pack (3-0-0-1) Sunday afternoon at the XL Center.
Tage Thompson picked up his second multi-point effort of the season with two assists to lead Rochester to its first shootout win of the campaign. Remi Elie also turned in a two-point (1+1) performance, igniting the comeback early in the third period while also setting up Zach Redmond's game-tying goal with 13 seconds remaining. Goaltender Andrew Hammond improved to 3-0-0 on the year while making 33 saves and stopping all three Hartford skaters in the skills competition.
Hartford extended its point streak to begin the 2019-20 season as Filip Chytil and Boo Nieves each scored during regulation. Netminder Adam Huska stopped 35 of 37 shots on goal before the Amerks sent the contest beyond regulation.
Heading into the third period, the Amerks trailed 2-0 before the comeback began. Elie found the back of the net first for Rochester 4:42 into the final frame, cutting Hartford's lead in half. Andrew MacWilliam was credited with the secondary assist, while Thompson picked up his first helper of the afternoon.
With 1:48 left, Amerks interim head coach Gord Dineen used his lone timeout and pulled Hammond as the face-off was to the left of the Wolf Pack net. Rochester pressed for the equalizer on several occasions before Redmond rifled an Elie rebound past Huska, tying the matchup with just 13 seconds to go.
The game remained tied at two goals apiece after the five-minute overtime period, forcing the first shootout contest for the Amerks this year.
Hartford elected to go first in the skills competition and missed on all three attempts, while Thompson was the lone Amerk to capitalize in the shootout.
The Wolf Pack opened the scoring midway through the second stanza as former Amerk Danny O'Regan cut to the top of the goal crease and set up Chytil at the 9:47 mark. Later in the same period, Hartford upped the score once more on a breakaway goal by Nieves with 3:16, taking a 2-0 lead into the final 20 minutes of play.
The Amerks return to the Flower City for a 7:05 p.m. puck drop against the Cleveland Monsters on Friday, Oct. 18 at The Blue Cross Arena. All of the action can be heard live on The Sports Leader AM 950/95.7 FM ESPN Rochester as well as AHLTV.
ROC: R. Elie (1), Z. Redmond (1)
HFD: F. Chytil (2), B. Nieves (1)
ROC: A. Hammond - 33/35 (W)
HFD: A. Huska - 35/37 (SOL)
ROC: PP (0/3) | PK (3/3)
HFD: PP (0/3) | PK (3/3)
1. T. Thompson (ROC)
2. F. Chytil (HFD)
3. Z. Redmond (ROC)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 13, 2019
- Penguins Drop 5-1 Decision at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Blowout Penguins for First Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Barracuda Erase Two-Goal Deficit, Beat Condors 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Nipped Late by San Jose, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Third Period Letdown Costs Pack in Shootout Loss - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Rally in Third, Top Wolf Pack in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Fall to Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- 'Canes Recall Gibbons from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Special Teams Pivotal in T-Birds Breakout Win at Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- $5 Kids Tickets, Skate & Pet-Item Drive in Matinee Tomorrow vs. Laval - Rockford IceHogs
- Panthers Reassign F Cliff Pu to Springfield (AHL) from Greenville (ECHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Abramov Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Minnesota Recalls Forward Gerry Mayhew from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Penguins, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Sunday, October 13 at Hartford Wolf Pack - Rochester Americans
- Reign No Match for Tucson Scoring Saturday - Ontario Reign
- Pederson Leads Roadrunners to Blowout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Falls to Texas 2-1 in the Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Fall to Wolves in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls End Road Swing with Loss - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 6, 2019 vs. Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Open Homestand with 4-0 Win over Marlies
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 vs. Toronto Marlies
- Luukkonen Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month
- Amerks Assign Boomhower to Cincinnati