Americans Beat KC 4-3
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild (NHL), and Iowa Wild (AHL) won the second of a four game in five-night homestand against the Kansas City Mavericks on Friday night, by a score of 4-3, in front of an announced crowd of 1,640 fans at the Allen Event Center.
The first period, unlike on Wednesday, was explosive from the start, as Samuel Laberge struck first for Allen, scoring on the powerplay from Corey Mackin and Les Lancaster just 3:49 into the game. The Mavericks tied the score five minutes later, on a goal from Lane Scheidl, his 12th of the year. Kansas City took their first and only lead of the night three minutes later, on a goal from Willie Corrin to make it 2-1. The Americans were not done either, as Les Lancaster tied the score with 1.5 seconds left on the clock in the first. It was 2-2 after one period.
The second period was a dominant one for the Americans finding the back of the net twice in the second frame, with both Allen goals coming on the powerplay. The first was set up by a great point shot from Matt Register, who found the stick of Captain Spencer Asuchak, who tipped the puck past Maverick's goalie Matt Ginn, to give Allen the 3-2 lead. Just 15 seconds later Steven Owre collected his own rebound and pulled off a wonderful toe drag to the outside and scored his second goal of the season. Allen led 4-2 after two periods.
The Americans held their two-goal lead until just under three minutes left in regulation when former Americans Captain Jared VanWormer scored his 12th of the year to cut the lead to one. Allen took a penalty with under two minutes left in regulation, but the Mavericks were unable to tie the score as the Americans held on for the win.
Americans defensemen Les Lancaster had a three-point night with one goal and two assists.
Allen goalie Jake Paterson made his return from injury and played with poise making 35 saves in the win.
The Americans have two more home games this weekend, with games on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS.
Gates of Allen Station 3 Stars:
1. ALN - L. Lancaster
2. ALN - S. Owre
3. ALN - C. Mackin
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 10, 2021
- Buitenhuis Shuts Down Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Fall 5-3 at Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Wichita Blanks Utah 1-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Greenville Blanked by Solar Bears 3-0 on Saturday Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Six Goals Lift Indy over Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Girduckis Nets Hat Trick to Lead Icemen Past First Place Florida - Jacksonville IceMen
- Windsor shuts door on Swamp Rabbits in 3-0 win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Frozen by Icemen - Florida Everblades
- Nailers & Stingrays Postponed After One Period - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - April 10 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Solar Bears, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Matthew Barnaby Signs with Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nikita Pavlychev Returns to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Bounce Back Opportunity for Blades - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host KC, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Wichita, April 10, 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Nailers, April 10 at 7:10 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Beat KC 4-3 - Allen Americans
- Third Period Pushes Thunder Past Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.