Albany Devils Weekly
The Devils needed extra time during both its games last week to earn four points. Rick Kowalsky registered his first career AHL coaching victory with a 3-2, shootout win against Hartford on Friday. It didn't take long to get number two; the team claimed a 4-3, overtime win at Adirondack on Saturday. Looking forward, the Devils host Charlotte on Wednesday, Oct. 20 and Norfolk on Saturday, Oct. 23. Both outings are at 7 p.m.
THE WEEK THAT WAS:
Friday, Devils 3 vs. Hartford 2 (SO)
Mike McKenna backstopped the Devils to their first victory by turning away 31 shots and stopping five-of-six shootout attempts. Mattias Tedenby and Stephen Gionta were the goal scorers during the shootout, while Vladimir Zharkov and Chad Wiseman both scored in regulation.
Saturday, Devils 4 at Adirondack 3 (OT)
A defensive-end turnover by the Phantoms led to Brad Mills scoring the game-winning goal with 3:22 remaining in overtime. Three Devils registered multi-point games. Michael Swift and Vladimir Zharkov had two assists each and Mattias Tedenby registered a goal and a helper. Jeff Frazee entered the contest at 4:29 of the first and stopped all 18 shots he faced.
The Devils are off to their best three-game start since the 2007-08 season when they also began 2-1-0-0. The team looks to go 3-1-0-0 for the first time in history ... Brad Mills, Nathan Perkovich, Mattias Tedenby, Chad Wiseman, Harry Young and Vladimir Zharkov each scored their first goals of the season ... The win at Adirondack tied the season series at 1-1. The two teams, which will meet 12 times.
LEADERS FOR ALBANY:
Goals: David McIntyre (2)
Assists: Stephen Gionta, Tim Sestito*, Michael Swift, Vladimir Zharkov (2)
Points: David McIntyre, Stephen Gionta, Vladimir Zharkov (3)
PIM: Tim Sestito* (7)
Plus/Minus: Mark Fayne, Olivier Magnan*, David McIntyre, Vladimir Zharkov (+2)
Wins: Mike McKenna, Jeff Frazee (1)
GAA: Jeff Frazee (2.60)
Save %: Jeff Frazee (.898)
*Currently playing for New Jersey (NHL)
Albany welcomes the former Times Union Center tenant, the Charlotte Checkers, on Wednesday, Oct. 20 at 7 p.m. Charlotte (1-4-0-0) is on a three game skid, including a pair of losses against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Friday (4-2) and Sunday (4-3). The Checkers only win was a 4-1 decision at Springfield on Oct. 10. Jon Matsumoto leads the team with six points, including two goals and four assists, while Jerome Samson is first in goals with four. Goaltenders Mike Murphy and Justin Pogge have split time. Murphy is 1-2 with a 2.68 goals-against average, while Pogge is 0-2 with a 4.59 average.
Norfolk, which is one of two undefeated teams remaining, arrives in Albany for a Saturday, Oct. 23 game at 7 p.m. The Admirals began the season with a 7-4 win at Binghamton on Oct. 9 and then followed with 4-0 and 7-2 victories against Worcester on Friday and Saturday. The team will play at Hartford on Wednesday and Syracuse on Friday before taking on the Devils. Marc-Antoine Pouliot leads the Admirals with seven points behind a goal and six assists. Cedrick Desjardins and Dustin Tokarski have combined for three wins in goal. Desjardins turned away all 29 chances on Friday during his only appearance, while Tokarski is 2-0 with a 3.00 goals-against average.
GET YOUR TICKETS:
Tickets for this week's games can be purchased at the Times Union Center box office or at any Ticketmaster outlet. Fans can also buy tickets via charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000.
Season tickets, partial ticket packages and flex ticket plans are on sale now by calling the Albany Devils at (518) 4-DEVILS.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 18, 2010
- Wolf Pack Notebook - Connecticut Whale
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Pirates Weekly - Portland Pirates
- Boston Bruins Shuffle Goalie Prospects - Providence Bruins
- Bulldogs Try To Gain Ground In The North Division With Four Games This Week - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Sign Goaltender Dov Grumet-Morris to PTO - Connecticut Whale
- Amerks, Mark's Pizzeria Announce Family Value Nights - Rochester Americans
- New Jersey Swaps Defensemen with Albany - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Weekly Report - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Devils Announce 2010-11 Promotional Schedule - Albany Devils
- Dynamic Duo - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Rockford Takes Two of Three in Week Two - Rockford IceHogs
- Oklahoma City Weekly Report - Oklahoma City Barons
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Peoria's Graham Mink Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Graham Mink Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - Peoria Rivermen
- Heat Hot Sheet - Edition Four - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Launch School Supply Drive - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Assign Sebastien Bisaillon and David Urquhart to Wheeling - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Worcester Sharks Get Set for Home Opener on Saturday Against Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals Drop a Pair to Chicago Last Week - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Drop Two in Week 2 - Manitoba Moose
- Dollar Days, Pumpkin Pucks and More from the Pens - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins Return Home After Bagging Moose - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blackhawks Assign Leddy to Rockford, Hog Talk at Swilligans Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Host Spurs Night this Saturday - San Antonio Rampage
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Nick Spaling Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Spoil Home Opener, Phantoms In This Weekend - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.