Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for VictoryApril 13, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Manchester Monarchs
Manchester (34-31-3-4) is in third place in the Atlantic Division with 75 points. Hershey (33-30-3-6) is in fifth place in the East Division with 75 points.
"I liked the way we played tonight," said Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris. "We came out strong and grabbed three goals in the first period. They came back hard in the second period. Martin Jones was good in the third and we held on. It was a little chaotic but a win is a win."
Manchester took the lead for good at 4-2 with a goal by left wing Hunter Bishop at 11:34 of the middle stanza. Left wing David Meckler took a feed from bishop in the left wing corner. Bishop skated into the high slot and received a pass from Meckler. Bishop took a quick wrist shot that beat Bears netminder Dany Sabourin low on the right pad for the goal. Right wing Scott Sabourin also recorded an assist on Bishop's third goal of the season.
The Monarchs opened the scoring at 8:05 of the first period with a goal by center Andy Andreoff. Center Linden Vey passed the puck from the right point to defenseman Vincent LoVerde at the center point. LoVerde fed defenseman Derek Forbort at the left point for a one-timer. Forbort's one-timer was tipped by Andreoff for his 11th goal of the season.
Defenseman Chris Huxley gave the Monarchs a 2-0 lead with a goal at 9:21 of the first period. Left wing Colton Yellow Horn took the puck out of the left wing corner and up the left wing boards before sending a pass to right wing Brandon Kozun in the left wing corner. Kozun spotted Huxley at the center point with a hard pass. Huxley settled the puck and took a slap shot beating Sabourin high over the stick side for his first American Hockey League goal.
Manchester opened up a 3-0 first period lead with a goal by Andreoff. Vey grabbed a loose puck off the right wing half wall of the Bears zone and fed Andreoff at the top of the right wing face-off circle. Andreoff took a wrist shot that Sabourin denied producing a rebound in front of the net. Andreoff got his own rebound and backhanded it past Sabourin for his 12th goal of the season.
Hershey cut the Monarchs lead to 3-1 with a goal by right wing Joey Crabb at 3:38 of the second period. Center Ryan Potulny took a feed from right wing Casey Wellman in the left wing face-off circle. Potulny spun around releasing a wrist shot. Monarchs goaltender Martin Jones denied the shot attempt producing a rebound on the left doorstep. Crabb picked up the loose puck and roofed a shot over the stick side shoulder of Jones for his third goal of the season.
Defenseman Nate Schmidt scored a goal at 6:29 of the second period to cut the Monarchs lead to 3-2. Left wing Boyd Kane fed Schmidt at the right point. Schmidt one-timed the pass that hit Jones in the shoulder, bounced up in the air and trickled into the back of the net for the goal. Wellman also recorded an assist on Schmidt's first goal of the season.
Hershey brought the score to within a goal again at 4-3 with a goal by defenseman Julien Brouillette at 15:12 of the second period. Center Jeff Taffe possessed the puck around the back of the Monarchs net and out to the right wing face-off circle before finding Brouillette in the left wing face-off circle. Brouillette took a wrist shot that beat Jones high over the stick side shoulder for the goal. Crabb also assisted on Brouillette's second goal of the season.
Jones (24-25-4) earned his 24th victory of the season stopping 37-of-40 shots. Sabourin (9-13-2) took his 13th loss of the season making 17 saves on 21 shots.
Manchester went 0-for-1 on the power play. Hershey was 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2013
- Griffins Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Grinds out Win over Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Defeat Hamilton Again for Fifth Straight Win - Lake Erie Monsters
- Akey in OT - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Clinch Playoff Spot in Chicago - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Celebrate Division Title, Fall To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Brett Connolly's Hat Trick Lifts the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Win Seventh Straight vs. Grand Rapids - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Toppled at Houston, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Record Crowd Sees Aeros Roll over Rampage 4-1 - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Earn Vital Two Points with Shootout Win over Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Grab Point in OT Loss to Admirals on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Hunt(Er) Bears for Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Phantoms win in overtime ovet Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Vatanen's OT Winner Moves Norfolk up in Standings - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Syracuse, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Kings Sign Nick Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Hold off Bears' Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Bottle-Up IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Turner Elson Assigned to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Blank Falcons 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Clinch Playoff Berth with Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Heading to Playoffs for 11th Straight Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed During Military Appreciation Night - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Dominate Devils, 5-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Host Rivermen for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Youds Sent Back to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Recall Akim Aliu from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Recall Forward Jack Downing from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #72 - Springfield Falcons
- Phoenix Coyotes Assign Lucas Lessio to Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Release Matthew Kirzinger from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Blank Marlies in Front of 6503 Fans - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Clinch Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Toronto Marlies
- Pirri, Smith Help Hogs Win Illinois Lottery Cup - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.