Nailers Knock off Royals in a Shootout, 5-4January 11, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) Wheeling Nailers
The Royals quickly got on the board at the 1:02 mark of the first period, as David Marshall's centering pass deflected in off of a Wheeling skate. Midway through the frame, the Nailers drew even, as Zack Torquato found the twine with a wrist shot from high in the slot. With 1:34 left to go, Adam Comrie put Reading back on top, as he rifled in a slap shot from the top of the left circle.
The second period scoring was all Nailers, as they turned a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 lead. The tying goal came less than two minutes into the stanza, when Carl Sneep followed up his initial shot, feeding Scott Zurevinski, who lifted the water bottle off of the net with his tenth goal of the season. Later in the period, Adam Payerl put the home team on top, breaking away from the defense, and picking the top corner over Sergey Kostenko's glove.
Paul Crowder opened up the third period with a power play goal, as he split through the Reading defense, and slid a backhander home for a 4-2 Nailers lead. Yannick Tifu answered 2:22 later for the Royals, cutting the deficit to one, before David Marshall squeezed a shot just over the line, with 16 seconds left, as Reading came back to force overtime.
Neither team scored in overtime, leading to a shootout. Chris Barton and Yannick Tifu exchanged early goals, before both David Marshall and Keven Veilleux both lit the lamp in round three. After five straight misses, Adam Payerl ended the contest, picking the top corner on Kostenko, as Wheeling won, 5-4.
Peter Delmas grabbed the win for the Nailers, making 22 saves on 26 shots. Sergey Kostenko took the shootout loss for the Royals, allowing four goals on 24 shots.
The Nailers and Royals will meet again on Saturday night at 7:00.
The first 2,500 fans will receive a free t-shirt courtesy of WesBanco Bank. Bring the family Sunday afternoon when the Nailers host the South Carolina Stingrays. The family four pack includes four game tickets, hotdogs, sodas, and one large popcorn for just $54. Following the game fans can skate with the Nailers players.
Group and single game tickets can be purchased by calling 304-234-4625 or 1-877-NAIL-TIX. All Nailers games will be broadcast on Wheeling's rock station EAGLE 107 (107.5 FM). Fans can also listen to and watch all Nailers games on wheelingnailers.com.
2012-2013 Wheeling Nailers season tickets, flex pack tickets, group tickets and single-game tickets are on sale now! For as little as $10 per game, you can enjoy the many benefits of being a Nailers season ticket holder including reserved seating for all home games at WesBanco Arena, the option to redeem unused tickets, discounts on team merchandise and access to exclusive season ticket holder-only events with the team. Convenient payment plans are available. For more information on how to join our team by becoming a Wheeling Nailers season ticket holder, or for more information on Flex Pack tickets or group tickets, call 304-234-4625 or 1-877-NAIL-TIX, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.wheelingnailers.com. Nailers single-game tickets are available at the WesBanco Arena Box Office, any Ticketmaster Outlet, online at www.ticketmaster.com, or by calling 304-234-4625 or 1-877-NAIL-TIX.
ECHL Stories from January 11, 2013
- Four-Goal Second Lifts Wranglers 5-1 over Grizzlies - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Special Teams Haunt Idaho in Loss - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder power play silenced, Beatty breaks tie with late second period goal - Stockton Thunder
- Vegas Takes Series Opening Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles Win 9th Straight at Home with 4-1 Victory over Thunder - Colorado Eagles
- Everblades Rally from 2-0 Deficit to Defeat Toledo 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Topple Titans 3-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Knock off Royals in a Shootout, 5-4 - Wheeling Nailers
- Road Warriors Light up Solar Bears 9-3 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Komets Sneak Past Cyclones in Shootout, 2-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Draw Blood Against Evansville - Elmira Jackals
- New-Look Titans Lose Another Heartbreaker to SC, 3-1 - Trenton Titans
- Big Third Period for Greenville as Bears Fall to Road Warriors - Orlando Solar Bears
- Bulls Sign Center Colin Reddin; Guimond Loaned to Worcester - San Francisco Bulls
- Orlando Signs Kavanagh, Lampman Promoted to AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- Trio Called up to AHL Portland - Gwinnett Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 11 - ECHL
- Play Pick-Up Hockey at the Cow Palace - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Condors vs. Idaho - Kindle Fire Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder Signs Free Agent Right Wing Matt Ambroz - Stockton Thunder
- Finucci Returns to Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Sign F Nicolas Tremblay - Bakersfield Condors
- Titans GameDay vs. South Carolina - January 11, 2013 (Game 35 - Home 17) - Trenton Titans
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings to Work at McDonald's - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Open Road Trip Tonight in Trenton - South Carolina Stingrays
- Matczak Loaned to the Heat - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Colorado Eagles - Stockton Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Greenville Road Warriors - January 11 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Veilleux Assigned to Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - January 11 - ECHL
- Bulls Edged by Steelheads, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Beskorowany Helps Idaho Hold off Bulls - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.