Zagidulin, Penalty Kill Power Stockton Past Colorado
LOVELAND, Colo. - Behind a suffocating penalty-kill and an explosive second period on the offensive end, the Stockton Heat bested the Colorado Eagles in the first game of the season by a 5-2 final score Friday Night at the Budweiser Events Center. The Heat held the Eagles scoreless on eight chances with the man-advantage while Buddy Robinson netted the club's first shorthanded goal of the campaign. Artyom Zagidulin was stout between the pipes, turning away 28 of 30 shots faced on the night with some stellar efforts along the way. Matthew Phillips got the scoring started, striking 13:18 into the contest, then a three-goal onslaught in the second period pushed the game out of reach for the home team. Six players recorded their first point as a member of the Heat in the contest, including goals from Byron Froese, Justin Kirkland and Alexander Yelesin and assists from Zac Leslie, Zac Rinaldo and Adam Ruzicka.
W: Artyom Zagidulin (30 shots, 28 saves)
L: Antoine Bibeau (24 shots, 19 saves)
Three Stars: First - Artyom Zagidulin (28 svs); Second - Matthew Phillips (1g); Third - Michael Joly (1g)
Final Shots: STK - 24, COL - 30
Power Plays: STK - 0-3, COL - 0-8
- A total of 10 players made their Stockton debuts in the contest, including Zac Leslie, Froese, Artyom Zagidulin, Justin Kirkland, Martin Pospisil, Brandon Davidson, Adam Ruzicka, Zac Rinaldo, Luke Philp and Alexander Yelesin.
- Six players recorded their first respective point as a member of the Heat in the game: Froese (1g), Kirkland (1g), Yelesin (1g), Leslie (1a), Rinaldo (1a), Ruzicka (1a).
- Matthew Phillips lit the lamp first, with an assist coming from Leslie. Phillips posted seven points (3g,4a) in eight games against the Eagles a year ago.
- Froese's goal in the second period was his first point as a member of the Heat, wasting no time after being named team captain earlier in the day.
- Buddy Robinson's goal came shorthanded, continuing a trend from the 2018-19 season. The Heat led the AHL in shorthanded goals last year with 17.
- The Heat are now 4-1 all-time in season openers and 7-1-0-1 all-time against the Colorado Eagles.
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE table.MsoNormalTable
The Heat close out their weekend set against the Eagles Saturday at 6:05 p.m. Stockton's home opener will take place on Saturday, October 12 at 6 p.m. against the San Diego Gulls.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 4, 2019
- Zagidulin, Penalty Kill Power Stockton Past Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Texas Blanked by Tucson in Season Opener - Texas Stars
- Amerks Top Crunch in Overtime to Open 64th Season - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Start Season with 3-2 Win over Laval Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Amerks in Overtime, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Stockton Announces Captains for 2019-20 Season - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wild Announces Opening Night Roster - Iowa Wild
- Moose and TSN 1290 Launch "Moose Weekly" - Manitoba Moose
- Canucks Assign Trio to Utica - Utica Comets
- Devils Announce Opening Night Roster - Binghamton Devils
- Dallas Stars Recall Caamano and Gardner - Texas Stars
- Colorado Eagles Make Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Carcone Thankful to Continue Playing Close to Home - Belleville Senators
- Wolf Pack Announce Faceoff Time Changes - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Set to Open 82nd Season Saturday Night - Hershey Bears
- Phantoms Name Captains for 2019-20 Season - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Announce Opening Night Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Join the Griffins for Their Home Opener Next Friday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Paul Carey Named Captain of the Providence Bruins - Providence Bruins
- American Hockey League's 84th Season Begins Tonight - AHL
- Ontario Reign Announce Season-Opening Roster - Ontario Reign
- Moose Announce 2019 Opening Night Roster - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Open Season at Colorado Friday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Open Season with $2 Michelob Ultras and $1 Dogs Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Opening Night Roster - Syracuse Crunch
- 2019-20 Season Preview: Q&A with Troy Mann - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Announce Season-Opening Roster - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Release 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Utica Comets
- Penguins Sign Stefan Noesen - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 4 vs. Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Thunderbirds Unveil 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Springfield Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.