Woodchucks Battle Rain, Fall to Dock Spiders
WAUSAU, WI - The Wisconsin Woodchucks and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders underwent a lengthy delay at Athletic Park Thursday. When play resumed in the backdrop of steady lingering showers, the Chucks were unable to escape an early hole, falling 9-3 to the Dock Spiders.
Wisconsin is now 7-3 and a half game ahead of Fond du Lac in the Great Lakes West Division.
A storm cell slowly danced through Marathon County Thursday evening, forcing the umpires to stop the matchup between frames in the second inning. The hiatus- called for at approximately 7 p.m., lasted officially two hours and two minutes.
The Dock Spiders led 5-1 when the game was paused. Two third inning runs allowed Fond du Lac to extend their cushion to 7-1 before making it 8-1 on a fourth inning sacrifice fly.
Before the extended delay, Brandon Trammell opened the scoring for the Woodchucks in the bottom of the first with a solo home run to right field.
Trailing in the fourth, Dalton Reeves got a run back for the Chucks with an RBI single. Tyler Kehoe then followed suit in the seventh with a sacrifice fly.
A Dock Spider solo home run in the top of the ninth gave Fond du Lac a six-run lead that they held onto through the final out.
Will Geerdes started on the mound for Wisconsin. His outing lasted two innings before being relieved by Sean Higgins after the lightning wait.
Higgins' night concluded after three innings, handing the ball to Jace Baumann, who threw a pair of frames. Chandler Poell's eighth inning and Dane Miller's ninth finished the game.
Trammell had a solo home run in the first inning. He went 1-4 Thursday.
Reeves was 1-4 with an RBI.
Baumann didn't allow a run during his two-inning appearance.
The Woodchucks are at home all weekend, with the series finale against Fond du Lac slated for 6:35 p.m. Friday at Athletic Park. There will be postgame fireworks presented by Cellcom.
For tickets, call us at 715.845.5055, stop by our front office, or visit woodchucks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Walks Continue to Haunt - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies Drop Series against Rox - Duluth Huskies
- Bullpen Dazzles in Low Scoring Affair, Gates Immaculate in Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Booyah Rally on the Road - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Drop First Game in Mankato, 2-1 - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Mallards at Witter Field, Split Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Fall to Woodchucks - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bombers Come from Behind Once Again for Fourth Straight Win - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Drop Game Two to Rockford 10-3 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Chucks' Offense Active Early in Win over Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Start Weekend Trip - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Pitching Dominates, Shuts out Bismarck 4-0 - La Crosse Loggers
- Mallards Look to Bounce Back in Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Express Walk It off for the 3rd Time - Eau Claire Express
- Rafters Shut Down Mallards, Win in Madison 5-0 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Drop First Matchup against Stingers in Willmar - Mankato MoonDogs
- Kingfish Put up Late Rally, But Fall to Rivets on Walk-OffÃÂ - Kenosha Kingfish
- Ziegler Walk-Off Hero in Seesaw Battle with Kenosha - Rockford Rivets
- Rain Delay Does Not Keep Dock Spiders from Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- 13th-Inning Rally Boosts Chinooks Past Booyah - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rox Score Season-High 11 Runs in Third Straight Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Defeat Mankato 8-4 in the First of Four - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Fall in Extras - Green Bay Booyah
- Woodchucks Battle Rain, Fall to Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.