MoonDogs Drop First Matchup against Stingers in Willmar
WILLMAR, Minn. -Â The Mankato MoonDogs (6-5) dropped the first game of four in a home-and-home series 8-4 to the Willmar Stingers (8-3), Thursday at Bill Taunton Stadium.
The MoonDogs rallied from down six to come within four late and had the tying run up to bat in the ninth but struggled to make something happen before falling to the Stingers 8-4.
Mankato had one lead in the ballgame when they scored first in the top of the second afterÂ Cole AndavolgyiÂ (Golden West) scored on an RBI single hit to center byÂ Luke BecksteinÂ (Kansas State) to give the MoonDogs a 1-0 lead in the second. However, the Stingers responded quick with three runs in the bottom half of the second to take a 3-1 lead.
In the top of the third,Â Adrian TorresÂ (Grand Canyon) hit his second home run of the season, a solo shot over the rightfield foul pole, to decrease the deficit to 3-2.Â
The Stingers then jumped out to an 8-2 lead with one run in the fourth and four others in the fifth, leaving the MoonDogs trailing by six.Â
Mankato chipped away at the lead with a pair of runs in the seventh after Torres drove in more runs withÂ Josh UrpsÂ (Cal State Fullerton) and Andavogyi scoring on the play to shrink the Stingers lead to 8-4.
In the ninth, the MoonDogs loaded the bases to bring the tying run to the plate but came up short and fell by the final score of 8-4.
Torres had a big night offensively for the MoonDogs. He went 3-for-5 with a double that scored a pair and hit a solo home run.
Both sides finished with nine hits in the first game of the series. However, the MoonDogs struggled defensively with a pair of errors while the Stingers had no defensive miscues.
Earning the win for the Stingers wasÂ Dennis Boatman, who now rides a 2-0 record this summer. Boatman pitched six innings, allowed five hits, surrendered four runs (two earned), walked one and struck out eight.Â Jacob WebbÂ came up with his third save of the summer when inherited a bases-loaded jam in the ninth and ended the game with a strikeout.
Owen BoeremaÂ (Northwestern - St. Paul) suffered his first loss of the season Thursday to fall to 1-1 this season. Boerema worked 4.1 innings while giving up six hits and six runs. He walked four and struck out four along the way.Â
The MoonDogs return home Friday to host the Stingers for three more games in three days. The first pitch at ISG Field is slated for 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Walks Continue to Haunt - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies Drop Series against Rox - Duluth Huskies
- Bullpen Dazzles in Low Scoring Affair, Gates Immaculate in Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Booyah Rally on the Road - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Drop First Game in Mankato, 2-1 - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Mallards at Witter Field, Split Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Fall to Woodchucks - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bombers Come from Behind Once Again for Fourth Straight Win - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Drop Game Two to Rockford 10-3 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Chucks' Offense Active Early in Win over Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Start Weekend Trip - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Pitching Dominates, Shuts out Bismarck 4-0 - La Crosse Loggers
- Mallards Look to Bounce Back in Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Express Walk It off for the 3rd Time - Eau Claire Express
- Rafters Shut Down Mallards, Win in Madison 5-0 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Drop First Matchup against Stingers in Willmar - Mankato MoonDogs
- Kingfish Put up Late Rally, But Fall to Rivets on Walk-OffÃÂ - Kenosha Kingfish
- Ziegler Walk-Off Hero in Seesaw Battle with Kenosha - Rockford Rivets
- Rain Delay Does Not Keep Dock Spiders from Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- 13th-Inning Rally Boosts Chinooks Past Booyah - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rox Score Season-High 11 Runs in Third Straight Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Defeat Mankato 8-4 in the First of Four - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Fall in Extras - Green Bay Booyah
- Woodchucks Battle Rain, Fall to Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mankato MoonDogs Stories
- Mankato Stings Willmar, MoonDogs Prevail with Extra-Inning Free Pass
- MoonDogs Get Shutout in First Game of Home-And-Home Series with Stingers
- Berkey Provides Heroics, MoonDogs Extend Winning Streak with Walk-Off Win over Honkers for Series Sweep
- MoonDogs Hold on to Open Series against Honkers with Win
- MoonDogs Edge Honkers for Split of Road Series and First in the Great Plains West