Ziegler Walk-Off Hero in Seesaw Battle with Kenosha
Greg Ziegler (So, Missouri State) was the Rockford Rivets' hero on Thursday night, winning the game on a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 9th to boost Rockford to a 6-5 win over the Kenosha Kingfish.
The win improves the Rivets' record to 4-6 in the 2021 campaign.
The Great Lakes East battle featured four lead changes in the final three innings of the contest.
Thanks to a dominant start by right hander Ross Thompson (R-Jr, Heidelberg), Rockford entered the 7th inning ahead 3-0. That lead dissipated quickly, as the Kingfish scored a run on a throwing error, and followed it up with a 2-RBI triple by Casey O'Laughlin (Jr, Azusa Pacific). Shortly after, a sacrifice fly by Luke Stephenson would put Kenosha ahead 4-3.
Rockford responded with clutch hitting in the bottom of the 8th inning. After Brody Harding (So, Illinois) started the inning with a single and moved up to second on a passed ball, Fighting Illini teammate Cam McDonald (R-So, Illinois) would tie the game with an RBI single.
After a single by Jared Cushing (R-Fr, Xavier) singled and Ziegler walked, Daniel Gutierrez (R-So, Roosevelt) came through with a bases-loaded single to give Rockford a 6-5 lead entering the 9th.
That lead wouldn't last long, though, as Dustin Crenshaw started the top of the 9th with a triple off of Bradley Deboutte (Jr, Wright State). Tucker Shalley (Fr, Illinois) would come in to face the next batter, Luke Stephenson (R-Fr, Xavier), who drove a ball through Cushing's legs at third base to knot the game at 5.
Shalley would escape the rest of the inning unscathed, setting up the Rivets for 9th inning heroics.
Wade Elliot (So, Louisiana Tech) started the inning with a single up the middle, and was moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Harding. Kenosha would then intentionally walk McDonald to put the double play in order, and unintentionally walked Cushing to load the bags.
Zeigler, who stepped to the plate 0-3 with a walk, sent a fly ball into right, which was caught by O'Laughlin. Elliot tagged, scampered home and slid under a high throw to finish off the 6-5 victory.
Thompson took the tough-luck no decision after tossing 6 innings of solid work, walking and striking out one while letting up 3 earned runs. Shalley picked up the victory, while Ethan Peters (Jr, Loras College) is docked with the loss for surrendering the 9th inning run.
The Rivets and Kingfish will battle again tomorrow night at Simmonds Field in Kenosha, with first pitch set for 6:35pm.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Walks Continue to Haunt - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies Drop Series against Rox - Duluth Huskies
- Bullpen Dazzles in Low Scoring Affair, Gates Immaculate in Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Booyah Rally on the Road - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Drop First Game in Mankato, 2-1 - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Mallards at Witter Field, Split Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Fall to Woodchucks - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bombers Come from Behind Once Again for Fourth Straight Win - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Drop Game Two to Rockford 10-3 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Chucks' Offense Active Early in Win over Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Start Weekend Trip - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Pitching Dominates, Shuts out Bismarck 4-0 - La Crosse Loggers
- Mallards Look to Bounce Back in Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Express Walk It off for the 3rd Time - Eau Claire Express
- Rafters Shut Down Mallards, Win in Madison 5-0 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Drop First Matchup against Stingers in Willmar - Mankato MoonDogs
- Kingfish Put up Late Rally, But Fall to Rivets on Walk-OffÃÂ - Kenosha Kingfish
- Ziegler Walk-Off Hero in Seesaw Battle with Kenosha - Rockford Rivets
- Rain Delay Does Not Keep Dock Spiders from Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- 13th-Inning Rally Boosts Chinooks Past Booyah - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rox Score Season-High 11 Runs in Third Straight Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Defeat Mankato 8-4 in the First of Four - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Fall in Extras - Green Bay Booyah
- Woodchucks Battle Rain, Fall to Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford Rivets Stories
- Rivets' 7 Run Comeback Bid Falls Short in the 9th against Kokomo
- Rivets Overcome Early Deficit, End Losing Streak in Grand Fashion
- Rivets Fall Behind Early, Drop Fourth Straight Loss
- Rivets Pitching Outdueled in 2-1 Loss at Wisconsin
- Rivets Can't Hang on in Late Innings at Lakeshore