Rafters Shut Down Mallards, Win in Madison 5-0
MADISON, WI - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (6-5) shutout the Madison Mallards (5-6) at Warner Park. The Rafters won both games on their two-game road trip.
Justin Beyer (Wagner) started for the Rafters, pitching seven innings of shutout ball. The righty pitcher allowed just four hits with four strikeouts and no walks. Beyer earned his first win of the season.
The Rafters bats came alive in the top of the third with four runs. Josh Nicoloff (Columbia), Hank Zeisler (Chapman), Ben Swords (Webster) and EJ Exposito (Long Island) each had singles during the inning giving the Rafters the lead.
Wisconsin Rapids would add insurance runs in the sixth and ninth. Addie Burrow (Virginia) had a base hit and came around to score on a passed ball in the sixth. Reeve Holley (Cal Baptist) had a two-hit day and scored the final run in the ninth on a wild pitch.
The Rafters bullpen secured the team's first shutout of the season. Hayden Harris (Georgia Southern) struck out the side in the eighth and Zach Bennett (UCF) closed out the victory in the ninth. The Rafters pitchers have not allowed a run in 17 straight innings.
The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters return home tomorrow, Friday June 11th, to close the home and home series with the Madison Mallards and open a four game homestand. First pitch is at 6:05 at Witter Field. It's Waste Management Autism Awareness Night at the ballpark with a jersey auction to benefit the Autism Society of Central Wisconsin. The game can be heard on WFHR 1320 AM and seen on the Northwoods League Baseball Network.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Walks Continue to Haunt - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies Drop Series against Rox - Duluth Huskies
- Bullpen Dazzles in Low Scoring Affair, Gates Immaculate in Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Booyah Rally on the Road - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Drop First Game in Mankato, 2-1 - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Mallards at Witter Field, Split Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Fall to Woodchucks - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bombers Come from Behind Once Again for Fourth Straight Win - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Drop Game Two to Rockford 10-3 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Chucks' Offense Active Early in Win over Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Start Weekend Trip - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Pitching Dominates, Shuts out Bismarck 4-0 - La Crosse Loggers
- Mallards Look to Bounce Back in Wisconsin Rapids - Madison Mallards
- Express Walk It off for the 3rd Time - Eau Claire Express
- Rafters Shut Down Mallards, Win in Madison 5-0 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Drop First Matchup against Stingers in Willmar - Mankato MoonDogs
- Kingfish Put up Late Rally, But Fall to Rivets on Walk-OffÃÂ - Kenosha Kingfish
- Ziegler Walk-Off Hero in Seesaw Battle with Kenosha - Rockford Rivets
- Rain Delay Does Not Keep Dock Spiders from Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- 13th-Inning Rally Boosts Chinooks Past Booyah - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rox Score Season-High 11 Runs in Third Straight Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Defeat Mankato 8-4 in the First of Four - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Fall in Extras - Green Bay Booyah
- Woodchucks Battle Rain, Fall to Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Rapids Rafters Stories
- Rafters Get First Win against Chinooks, Split Series
- Rafters Fall to Chinooks in Return to Witter Field
- Rafters Shutout Pit Spitters, Finish 4-1 on Five Game Road Trip
- Rafters Snap Winning Streak, in Walk-Off Loss
- Rafters Win Fourth Straight, Sweep Growlers