Wolves Triumph at Iowa
DES MOINES, IOWA - Rookie goaltender Eetu Makiniemi stopped 23 shots as the Chicago Wolves extended their winning streak to five games with a 2-1 victory over the Iowa Wild Saturday night at Wells Fargo Arena.
Forwards Maxim Letunov and Jack Drury scored for the Wolves (13-4-1-1), who have defeated Iowa twice in three days to build their Central Division lead.
Iowa (9-7-1-0) received four power-play opportunities in the opening 13 minutes and finally took advantage of one to take the 1-0 lead at 13:29. Recent Minnesota first-round draft pick Matt Boldy rifled home a one-timer from the left faceoff dot while holding a 5-on-3 advantage.
Letunov knotted the game at 6:25 of the second. The center won a faceoff in the defensive zone, accepted a pass in the neutral zone and fed it ahead to forward Dominik Bokk as he approached the blue line. Bokk returned the pass to Letunov in open space and he buried it past goaltender Hunter Jones.
The Wolves produced the game-winner 47 seconds into the third. After Chicago rushed back to break up Iowa's odd-man rush, captain Andrew Poturalski claimed possession in the defensive zone and charged up the ice to ignite a 2-on-2 chance. Drury scissored toward Poturalski, who dropped a short pass back to the Winnetka native and he snapped it home from the left faceoff dot.
Makiniemi improved his record to 8-2-1 while Jones (0-1-0) notched 30 saves in his season debut.
The Wolves continue their five-game road trip with a 3 p.m. game Sunday at Iowa. Chicago returns to Allstate Arena at 11 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 16, to face the Manitoba Moose, then hosts the Milwaukee Admirals at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 18. To find holiday specials on Wolves tickets and merchandise, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
WOLVES 2, WILD 1
Chicago 0 1 1 -- 2
Iowa 1 0 0 -- 1
First Period-1, Iowa, Boldy 4 (Hicketts, Shaw), 13:29 pp.
Penalties-Bokk, Chicago (high-sticking), 2:32; Drury, Chicago (interference), 9:21; Mattheos, Chicago (cross-checking), 11:58; Smith, Chicago (cross-checking), 12:41; Swaney, Iowa (hooking), 15:18.
Second Period-2, Chicago, Letunov 6 (Bokk, Sellgren), 6:25.
Penalties-Giroux, Iowa (interference, roughing), 16:27; Keane, Chicago (fighting), 16:49; Shaw, Iowa (fighting), 16:49.
Third Period-3, Chicago, Drury 3 (Poturalski, Jacobs), 0:47.
Shots on goal-Chicago 11-12-9-32; Iowa 9-4-11-24. Power plays-Chicago 0-3; Iowa 1-4. Goalies-Chicago, Makiniemi (23-24); Iowa, Jones (30-32). Referees-Mike Campbell and Jarrod Ragusin. Linesmen-Chad Evers and John Watson.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2021
- Wild Fall to Wolves, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Open Weekend with 3-1 Win over Belleville - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Fight Falls Short in 5-4 Loss to Admirals - Cleveland Monsters
- Islanders Upset Comets in OT - Bridgeport Islanders
- Griffins Grab Early Lead and Skate to 6-2 Victory over the IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Triumph at Iowa - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Drop Contest to Islanders in Overtime, 3-2 - Utica Comets
- Eagles Recall Bradley from ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Panthers Assign Aleksi Heponiemi and Matt Kiersted to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Rangers Recall Goaltender Adam Húska from Wolf Pack, Reassign Wall to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anderson-Dolan, Tynan Recalled by LA Kings - Ontario Reign
- 5 Things: Heat vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Rockford IceHogs Medical Update - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Look for Weekend Sweep of San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Blackhawks Recall Ian Mitchell from Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Reschedule 11th Annual Stanley Steemer Tired Teddy Toss for December 8 - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #16: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Weekend Preview: Bridgeport Hosts Utica, Charlotte - Bridgeport Islanders
- American Hockey League Postpones Tonight's Rochester-Syracuse Game - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch, Rochester Americans Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Postpones Tonight's Rochester-Syracuse Game - AHL
- IceHogs Wrap up Road Trip Tonight in Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Earn Fourth-Straight Win In 4-1 Road Victory Over Colorado Eagles - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stockton Stops Gulls' Streak - San Diego Gulls
- Mackey, Heat Outpace Gulls, 4-1 - Stockton Heat
- Tucson Uses Three-Goal First Period to Race to 4-1 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.