Wolves Dim the Stars Before 15,432
ROSEMONT, Illinois - The Chicago Wolves scored three unanswered goals to topple the Texas Stars, 3-1, on Thursday afternoon in front of 15,432 fans at Allstate Arena.
Forwards Curtis McKenzie, Gage Quinney and Daniel Carr scored for Chicago (29-17-5-1) while defenseman Nic Hague picked up two assists. Goaltender Max Lagace (12-7-3) posted 38 saves.
Joel Hanley scored the lone goal for Texas (26-22-3-2) while netminder Philippe Desrosiers (6-9-0) had 21 saves.
Hanley opened up the scoring at the 4:44 mark of the first period after a turnover near the Wolves blue line. Denis Gurianov skated across the top of the circles before cycling the puck back to the point for Hanley, who snapped a shot over Lagace's blocker.
The Wolves came back to score two goals in the back half of the second period, which stole the lead for good. At the 11:24 mark, McKenzie capitalized on a rebound from Hague's shot, tucking it behind Desrosiers and into the net before a Texas skater swept it back out. The official initially waved off the goal and play continued, but after the next whistle the play was reviewed and McKenzie was awarded the tying goal.
Quinney gave the Wolves a lead at the 17:20 mark while killing off a penalty. He stole the puck along the far boards and beat Desrosiers glove-side for his second short-handed tally this season.
Carr scored an empty-net goal with 1:33 left to seal the 3-1 win. He delivered his league-leading 28th goal from center ice shortly after Desrosiers was pulled for an extra attacker.
The Wolves continue their homestand at 7 p.m. Saturday with a showdown against the division-leading Grand Rapids Griffins. For the best ticket deals, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 21, 2019
- Predators Recall Gaudet from Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- 14th Annual Sled Hockey Game Returns February 26 at New Venue - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Recall Jonny Brodzinski - Ontario Reign
- Eagles Sign Forward Kale Kessy to Professional Tryout Agreement - Colorado Eagles
- Binghamton Devils Release Free Mobile App - Binghamton Devils
- Iowa Wild Reassigns Goaltender C.J. Motte to Allen - Iowa Wild
- Dallas Stars Reassign Goaltender Landon Bow to Texas - Texas Stars
- Youth Jersey Giveaway, Kids in Free Highlight Roadrunners Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolves Dim the Stars Before 15,432 - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Fall in Morning Matchup with Wolves - Texas Stars
- Devante Smith-Pelly Assigned to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward J.T. Brown from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Beauchemin Loaned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- New York Islanders Select Oak View Group to Manage Webster Bank Arena - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rangers Recall Lias Andersson from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Recall Kyle Thomas from Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- Ottawa Recalls Chlapik and Archibald - Belleville Senators
- Philadelphia Has Loaned G Mike McKenna to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds Visit Hartford & Bridgeport in Important Road Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Sign Bergin to PTO; Sissons Reassigned to Adirondack - Binghamton Devils
- Petersen Backstops Reign to 4-3 Victory - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners' San Diego Streak Snapped in Wednesday's 5-2 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Johnson Buzzer-Beater Caps Rally in Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Enjoy Comforts of Home in 5-2 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Weise Scores his First in Laval's 4-2 Loss - Laval Rocket
- Peterson Halts Relentless Heat Attack in Stockton's 4-3 Setback - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.