Peterson Halts Relentless Heat Attack in Stockton's 4-3 Setback
ONTARIO, Calif. - Alan Quine led a relentless offensive effort with three points, including a goal and two assists, and Stockton registered a season-high 47 shots on goal but ultimately fell just short in a 4-3 loss at Ontario Wednesday. A slow start plagued the Heat on this night, Stockton conceding a 3-0 deficit to start the game and then trailing 4-1 at one point before rattling off a pair of unanswered tallies from Rob Hamilton and Kerby Rychel, his 20th of the campaign, to pull within one. The Heat carried play from midway through the second through the final horn, outshooting the Reign by a 32-13 tally in the final 40 minutes but the home team got a huge performance from Cal Peterson with 44 saves on the night.
W: Cal Peterson (47 shots, 44 saves)
L: Jon Gillies (26 shots, 22 saves)
Three Stars: First - Matt Luff (1g,2a), Second - Matt Moulson (3a), Third - Alan Quine (1g,2a)
Final Shots: STK - 47, ONT - 26
Power Plays: STK - 0-3, ONT - 0-3
- For the second-straight game is was Alan Quine who scored first for Stockton, pushing his total to five goals over the Heat's last four games. Quine is now on a six-game scoring streak with nine points (5g,4a) over that span. He finished with three points on the night, a goal and two assists. The forward entered tonight's game as Stockton's leading scorer on the year against Ontario with eight points (3g,5a) in six games.
- Rinat Valiev claimed an assist on Quine's marker, giving him a point in three (1g,2a) of four games since returning from a call-up to Calgary.
- Rob Hamilton snapped a 10-game scoreless skid with a goal in the second period.
- Kerby Rychel's goal in the third period gives him 20 for the season, a career-best for single-season output.
- Juuso Valimaki was on the ice for all three Stockton goals, finishing the night a plus-2.
- Ryan Lomberg registered eight shots on goal in the game, the most for a player in a game for the Heat this season.
- The Heat finished with a season-high 47 shots on goal and surpassed the 40-shot mark for the first time since January 5, a 7-6 win against Colorado.
- Stockton is now 4-2-1-0 on the year against Ontario.
The Heat return to Stockton Arena on Sunday, Feb. 24 to play host to the San Jose Barracuda, a 5 p.m. puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 21, 2019
- Predators Recall Gaudet from Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- 14th Annual Sled Hockey Game Returns February 26 at New Venue - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Recall Jonny Brodzinski - Ontario Reign
- Eagles Sign Forward Kale Kessy to Professional Tryout Agreement - Colorado Eagles
- Binghamton Devils Release Free Mobile App - Binghamton Devils
- Iowa Wild Reassigns Goaltender C.J. Motte to Allen - Iowa Wild
- Dallas Stars Reassign Goaltender Landon Bow to Texas - Texas Stars
- Youth Jersey Giveaway, Kids in Free Highlight Roadrunners Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolves Dim the Stars Before 15,432 - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Fall in Morning Matchup with Wolves - Texas Stars
- Devante Smith-Pelly Assigned to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward J.T. Brown from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Beauchemin Loaned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- New York Islanders Select Oak View Group to Manage Webster Bank Arena - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rangers Recall Lias Andersson from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Recall Kyle Thomas from Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- Ottawa Recalls Chlapik and Archibald - Belleville Senators
- Philadelphia Has Loaned G Mike McKenna to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds Visit Hartford & Bridgeport in Important Road Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Sign Bergin to PTO; Sissons Reassigned to Adirondack - Binghamton Devils
- Petersen Backstops Reign to 4-3 Victory - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners' San Diego Streak Snapped in Wednesday's 5-2 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Johnson Buzzer-Beater Caps Rally in Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Enjoy Comforts of Home in 5-2 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Weise Scores his First in Laval's 4-2 Loss - Laval Rocket
- Peterson Halts Relentless Heat Attack in Stockton's 4-3 Setback - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.