Johnson Buzzer-Beater Caps Rally in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids, Mi. - Luke Johnson netted the game-winning goal with less than a second remaining in the overtime session as the Rockford IceHogs overcame a two-goal deficit to defeat the Grand Rapids Griffins, 3-2, Wednesday night at Van Andel Arena. The victory gives Rockford three straight wins and nine victories in its last 11 contests.
As time was expiring in overtime, Johnson potted the dagger on a rebound after Graham Knott threw the puck on net in a last-ditch effort to end the game prior to the shootout.
After Rockford fell into an early 2-0 hole, Joni Tuulola responded for the IceHogs in the second period, collecting a centering feed in the high slot from forward Peter Holland and converting high to the glove side of Griffins goaltender Harri Sateri.
Jordan Schroeder tied the contest in the third stanza on a back-handed rebound of a Holland wrister, setting the stage for Johnson's overtime heroics. Schroeder now has five points in his last three games and 12 in his last 12 appearances.
With assists on both regulation goals, Holland notched two points in his first game with Rockford after being acquired via trade by the Chicago Blackhawks. The forward is now tied for fourth in the league with 51 total points this season.
Wade Megan and Matt Puempel both tallied in the opening frame to give Grand Rapids the early lead.
IceHogs goaltender Anton Forsberg made 37 saves in the victory, eclipsing the 30-save mark for the third time in as many starts.
Next Home Game: March 1 vs. Grand Rapids | 7 p.m.
The Rockford IceHogs return home to host the Grand Rapids Griffins on Country Night at the BMO Harris Bank Center. The first 1,500 fans to arrive will receive a FREE bandana, thanks to Texas Roadhouse.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 21, 2019
- Predators Recall Gaudet from Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- 14th Annual Sled Hockey Game Returns February 26 at New Venue - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Recall Jonny Brodzinski - Ontario Reign
- Eagles Sign Forward Kale Kessy to Professional Tryout Agreement - Colorado Eagles
- Binghamton Devils Release Free Mobile App - Binghamton Devils
- Iowa Wild Reassigns Goaltender C.J. Motte to Allen - Iowa Wild
- Dallas Stars Reassign Goaltender Landon Bow to Texas - Texas Stars
- Youth Jersey Giveaway, Kids in Free Highlight Roadrunners Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolves Dim the Stars Before 15,432 - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Fall in Morning Matchup with Wolves - Texas Stars
- Devante Smith-Pelly Assigned to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward J.T. Brown from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Beauchemin Loaned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- New York Islanders Select Oak View Group to Manage Webster Bank Arena - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rangers Recall Lias Andersson from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Recall Kyle Thomas from Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- Ottawa Recalls Chlapik and Archibald - Belleville Senators
- Philadelphia Has Loaned G Mike McKenna to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds Visit Hartford & Bridgeport in Important Road Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Sign Bergin to PTO; Sissons Reassigned to Adirondack - Binghamton Devils
- Petersen Backstops Reign to 4-3 Victory - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners' San Diego Streak Snapped in Wednesday's 5-2 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Johnson Buzzer-Beater Caps Rally in Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Enjoy Comforts of Home in 5-2 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Weise Scores his First in Laval's 4-2 Loss - Laval Rocket
- Peterson Halts Relentless Heat Attack in Stockton's 4-3 Setback - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Winningest American Head Coach & 2007 UHL Championship Coach Steve Martinson Joins IceHogs Rewind Pregame Show Friday
- IceHogs to Broadcast Historical Game 7 of 2007 UHL Colonial Cup Finals on IceHogs Rewind Friday Night
- IceHogs Head Coach Derek King Gives Updates on Thursday
- IceHogs Defenseman TJ Brennan Joins Facebook Live on Tuesday