14th Annual Sled Hockey Game Returns February 26 at New Venue
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Griffins and Grand Rapids Sled Wings will play their 14th annual sled hockey game on Tuesday, Feb. 26 at 6 p.m. at a new venue, Griff's Georgetown in Hudsonville (8500 48th Avenue).
The doors will open at 5 p.m. Prior to the game, fans can try out a sled on the ice for a minimum $1 donation (5-5:50 p.m.) and get free autographs from their favorite Griffins players (5:20-5:50 p.m.). The game will consist of two 20-minute periods with a running clock.
The two sled hockey teams will be comprised of players from both the Griffins and the Sled Wings' junior team. During the five-minute intermission, local media personalities will play an exhibition sled hockey game alongside members of the Sled Wings.
Tickets can be purchased at the door for $5 per person or $20 per family. Children 2 and younger are free. A small silent auction and raffle will be held consisting primarily of Griffins items, including experience packages and game-used, autographed sticks from Colin Campbell, Wade Megan and Patrik Rybar.
All proceeds from the evening will benefit the Sled Wings program and the Griffins Youth Foundation. Click here for complete details and highlights from last season's game.
The junior Sled Wings, a talented team of children and teens who have physical disabilities, are sponsored by the Griffins Youth Foundation in partnership with Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital. They became the first junior-level sled hockey team in Michigan upon their founding in 2001, and have gained a national reputation by winning various prestigious tournaments and developing six players for U.S. National Teams. Sled Wings goaltender Taggart VanderMolen was selected to the U.S. National Development Team for the 2018-19 season. Just 15 years old when he was named to the team, VanderMolen is the youngest netminder ever to receive this honor. The Sled Wings captured their first Division A National Championship in April 2015 and have finished as National Runners-up four times.
The 14th annual sled hockey game is sponsored by the Daniel and Pamella DeVos Foundation, Mary Free Bed Wheelchair and Adaptive Sports, and Centennial Securities.
Sled hockey rules are virtually identical to traditional hockey, except participants sit on bladed sleds. Players use shortened hockey sticks with a blade on one end and a pick (similar to a toe-pick on a figure skate) on the other end, which enables them to propel themselves across the ice. As in traditional hockey, checking, penalties and hard shots are all abundant in sled hockey.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 21, 2019
- Predators Recall Gaudet from Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- 14th Annual Sled Hockey Game Returns February 26 at New Venue - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Recall Jonny Brodzinski - Ontario Reign
- Eagles Sign Forward Kale Kessy to Professional Tryout Agreement - Colorado Eagles
- Binghamton Devils Release Free Mobile App - Binghamton Devils
- Iowa Wild Reassigns Goaltender C.J. Motte to Allen - Iowa Wild
- Dallas Stars Reassign Goaltender Landon Bow to Texas - Texas Stars
- Youth Jersey Giveaway, Kids in Free Highlight Roadrunners Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolves Dim the Stars Before 15,432 - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Fall in Morning Matchup with Wolves - Texas Stars
- Devante Smith-Pelly Assigned to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward J.T. Brown from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Beauchemin Loaned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- New York Islanders Select Oak View Group to Manage Webster Bank Arena - Bridgeport Islanders
- Rangers Recall Lias Andersson from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Recall Kyle Thomas from Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- Ottawa Recalls Chlapik and Archibald - Belleville Senators
- Philadelphia Has Loaned G Mike McKenna to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds Visit Hartford & Bridgeport in Important Road Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Sign Bergin to PTO; Sissons Reassigned to Adirondack - Binghamton Devils
- Petersen Backstops Reign to 4-3 Victory - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners' San Diego Streak Snapped in Wednesday's 5-2 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Johnson Buzzer-Beater Caps Rally in Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Enjoy Comforts of Home in 5-2 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Weise Scores his First in Laval's 4-2 Loss - Laval Rocket
- Peterson Halts Relentless Heat Attack in Stockton's 4-3 Setback - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Griffins' Chapman, AHL Trainers Selected as Winners of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award
- AHL Board of Governors Approves Plan for Schedule Unification
- American Dunes Becomes New Home for Griffins Youth Foundation Golf Classic
- Riley Barber Named to AHL All-Star Team
- Save the Date: Griffins Youth Foundation Golf Classic to Tee off at New Home on August 26