Wild Drop Sunday Matinee to Tucson, 2-1
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Wild (8-4-1-0; 17 pts.) fell to the Tucson Roadrunners (5-6-1-0; 11 pts.) by a score of 2-1 at Wells Fargo Arena. Wild goaltender Dereck Baribeau made 27 saves and Iowa forward Matt Boldy scored his third goal in his last two games in the loss.
Roadrunners forward Matias Maccelli sprung free on a two-on-one chance, held the puck until he reached the right faceoff dot and beat Baribeau with a wrist shot to give Tucson a 1-0 lead at 5:32 of the first period.
Just over a minute later, Tucson forward Terry Broadhurst found a rebound to the right of Baribeau and shoveled it in to give the Roadrunners a 2-0 lead at 6:48 of the first stanza.
After Wild forward Kyle Rau sped through the neutral zone, he put on the brakes in the right corner of the offensive zone and slung a pass to the net that was deflected off the skate of Tucson forward Hudson Elynuik. The deflected puck settled in between and just above both faceoff circles and Boldy fired a slap shot past Roadrunners goalie Zane McIntyre to cut the Tucson lead to 2-1 at 17:57 of the first period. Both Rau and Wild defenseman Jon Lizotte were credited with assists on the goal.
At the end of the first period the Wild trailed the Roadrunners 2-1 as Tucson outshot Iowa 13-11 in the period.
The second period of play did not yield a goal for either side as the Wild outshot Tucson 15-6 in the period. At the end of two periods of play, shots were 26-19 in favor of Iowa.
In the third period, the Wild pulled Baribeau for the extra attacker at 1:35 of the period but could not solve McIntyre for a second time as the Roadrunners defeated Iowa 2-1.
Tucson outshot Iowa 10-6 in the third period, but the Wild outshot the Roadrunners 32-29 in the contest. The Wild did not convert on any of their three power play chances and Tucson failed to score on their five opportunities with a man advantage in the game.
The Wild face off against the Henderson Silver Knights on Saturday, Nov. 27 at 2:00 p.m. CT.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com. Fans can purchase single-game tickets through the team's website at www.iowawild.com. Group tickets (10 or more), suites, Wild 365 memberships or premium tickets can be purchased by contacting the Iowa Wild Ticket Department at 515-564-8700 or email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 21, 2021
- Wolf, Stockton Stonewall Reign - Ontario Reign
- Heat Extend Point Streak to Team-Record 12 Games with Sunday Win - Stockton Heat
- Bears Close Weekend with 4-2 Win on Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Wrap Road Trip with 4-2 Loss to Bears - Charlotte Checkers
- Wild Drop Sunday Matinee to Tucson, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Milwaukee - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Come Back for 6-5 Overtime Victory over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Stop Moose, Snap Losing Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Roadrunners Lead from Tape-to-Tape, Secure 2-1 Win over Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Thunderbirds Overtake Islanders in the Third - Bridgeport Islanders
- Torrid T-Birds Triumph Again in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Capitals Recall Brett Leason from Hershey, Re-Assign Garrett Pilon - Hershey Bears
- Dallas Stars Recall Forward Tanner Kero from Texas, Reassign Forward Riley Tufte to Texas - Texas Stars
- Anaheim Recalls Groulx and Lettieri - San Diego Gulls
- 5 Things: Heat at Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Look to Complete Back-To-Back with Win vs. Cleveland - Toronto Marlies
- Top Two Teams in Pacific Face off Sunday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Recalls Zmolek from Heartlanders - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Recalls Addison from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game #12: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Henderson Falls to Eagles, 2-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Griffins Third-Period Comeback Falls Short at Stars - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Annunen Propels Eagles to 2-1 Win over Silver Knights - Colorado Eagles
- McLaughlin's Big Night and Delia's Big Saves Give Hogs a 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Top Griffins in Overtime Thriller - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Wild Signs Goaltender C.J. Motte to a One-Year AHL Contract
- Minnesota Wild Signs Goaltender Jesper Wallstedt to a Three-Year, Entry-Level Contract
- Iowa Wild Defenseman Dakota Mermis Selected as Winner of Yanick Dupré Memorial Award
- Iowa Drops Season Finale to Rockford, 6-1
- Rau's Record-Breaking Performance Leads Wild to 5-3 Victory over IceHogs